Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just joined MRF today so thought I would introduce myself to you all. I'm an absolute beginer at this Forum lark so please forgive any transgressions I might make.

My name is Trevor and I am presently living and working in Dubai. With retirement looming (3 years from now) I decided that it was time I started doing something about that 'dream layout' I have been promising myself for the last 20 years. Due to space limitations I am going down the N Gauge track, if you will forgive the pun, and have designed a 3m x 3.5m layout which will run round 3 sides of the spare bedroom. The spare bedroom, by the way, is located in an apartment in Guilin, SW China which I have recently bought. My wife is Chinese and this is her home town.

Getting back to the layout, I have already purchased quite a bit of equipment during the course of trips to the UK, all of which has had to be hand-carried back here to Dubai. I will be using DCC Control with an ECos ESU Command Station and a Bus system which, so I am advised by Digitrains, is current 'state-of-the-art' stuff. My era is Post war GWR though not even they could have envisaged trains running this far East.

I look forward to chatting with all you guys and girls and, hopefully, being able to pick your brains when I hit a problem.

Regards to you all,

Trevor.

P.S. Help request No. 1. I tried attaching a jpeg file of my intended layout but it keeps asking for a URL address. All I want to do is attach a picture from my PC. Any ideas ???

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Hello Trevor and welcome to the forum!

Good to see another fellow ECoS user on MRF. Keep this up and there will be more of us than DC'ers!

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Trevor
and welcome to the forum, I myself have only been on here a matter of a few weeks, but already have found that the people on here are very helpful and friendly to each other and help with any queries. My special subject is signalling as I am a signal engineering instructor for network rail (southern area , not great western unfortunately) but if you encounter any problems I will try my best to help with the research and contacts availiable.
Signal trainer

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello there

I have been to dubai many times but i have only ever seen the airport!!

for ataching pics you need to use a third party picture library. i use photobucket. as it does all the work for you.
here is the thread on posting pictures
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25

Any more problems dont hesitate to ask.

regards

Peter Morgan

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information Peter.

I have already uploaded some pics to Photobucket so all I need to do now is make the 2 talk to each other.

For those that are interested I am thinking of starting a Blog to diary my progress. At the moment that consists of building a 1/5th scale model of the layout using 1mm & 2mm mounting card but it is helping to give me ideas for landscaping and resolving any potential clashes between point motors etc. and baseboard formers. Hopefully I will get the pics linked to MRF in the near future.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
BTW i also spend alot of time in china. mostly around beijing but i have ventured a few times. my girlfriend lives there. if you are ever in the area try and spend a couple of hours at fengtai. you can see literally anything from ramshackle freight to CRH2 shinkansens!! trains evry 4 or 5 minutes. also lots of international stock.

you will notioce under each picture in photobucket there is a line that starts ........... just click on that line (it will automatically copy) and paste it into the thread.

Peter

P.S. i will deleate your duplicated posts to keep the thread neat

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Thanks for the information Peter.

I have already uploaded some pics to Photobucket so all I need to do now is make the 2 talk to each other.

For those that are interested I am thinking of starting a Blog to diary my progress. At the moment that consists of building a 1/5th scale model of the layout using 1mm & 2mm mounting card but it is helping to give me ideas for landscaping and resolving any potential clashes between point motors etc. and baseboard formers. Hopefully I will get the pics linked to MRF in the near future.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Trevor, welcome tothe forum. Good choice of controller, probably the best option on the market at the moment.

Dubai must be an interesting place to live. I stopped off there for a few days last year. I found the choice of restaurants pretty good. Awesome carpets in some of the malls too. Summers pretty warm though.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Trevor and welcome aboard,

I like the look of that layout plan, loads of potential there. Iwas wondering what the Chinese will make of someone modelling the GWR?

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Jan 2008, 21:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Trevor and welcome aboard,

I like the look of that layout plan, loads of potential there. Iwas wondering what the Chinese will make of someone modelling the GWR?

Regards

Hi BRITHO,

I can tell you in 2 words - "Mad Gwailo". My wife, however, is very enthusiastic about the idea and keen to help with the scenery/landscaping. The Chinese are, after all, the original experts at papier mache.

Glad you like the layout plan. The 1/5th scale model of it is coming along nicely. I now have the viaduct and tunnel portals built and am working on the landscape contouring. Have you ever tried photo reducing N Gauge card kits to 20% of their original size and then then building them. Talk about microscopic!! A tunnel portal has 23 separate pieces and ends up being 2cm x 2 cm x 1.5 cm. Is that dedication or what ?

Cheers for now

Trevor aka Expat.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Impressive layout, did you make it on DRail?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Trevor,

Have you thought about putting in Hidden Storage yards?

A useful thing to plan at an early stage, putting them in in hindsight is a real pain.

John

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (john woodall @ 10 Feb 2008, 08:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Trevor,

Have you thought about putting in Hidden Storage yards?

A useful thing to plan at an early stage, putting them in in hindsight is a real pain.

John

Hi John,

Not sure I could fit any hidden sidings in as most of the space below the visible high level boards is taken up by the hidden return loops. Anyway I like to have everything where I can see it and it makes for operating interest when you have to organise incoming rolling stock for an outgoing train.

Thanks for the input anyway,

Regards,

Expat (aka Trevor)

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Jan 2008, 17:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Trevor and welcome aboard,

Regards

I would have thought not too much surprise. Most models seem to be made there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts