Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just joined MRF today so thought I would introduce myself to you all. I'm an absolute beginer at this Forum lark so please forgive any transgressions I might make.

My name is Trevor and I am presently living and working in Dubai. With retirement looming (3 years from now) I decided that it was time I started doing something about that 'dream layout' I have been promising myself for the last 20 years. Due to space limitations I am going down the N Gauge track, if you will forgive the pun, and have designed a 3m x 3.5m layout which will run round 3 sides of the spare bedroom. The spare bedroom, by the way, is located in an apartment in Guilin, SW China which I have recently bought. My wife is Chinese and this is her home town.

Getting back to the layout, I have already purchased quite a bit of equipment during the course of trips to the UK, all of which has had to be hand-carried back here to Dubai. I will be using DCC Control with an ECos ESU Command Station and a Bus system which, so I am advised by Digitrains, is current 'state-of-the-art' stuff. My era is Post war GWR though not even they could have envisaged trains running this far East.

I look forward to chatting with all you guys and girls and, hopefully, being able to pick your brains when I hit a problem.

Regards to you all,

Trevor.

P.S. Help request No. 1. I tried attaching a jpeg file of my intended layout but it keeps asking for a URL address. All I want to do is attach a picture from my PC. Any ideas ???

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information Peter.

I have already uploaded some pics to Photobucket so all I need to do now is make the 2 talk to each other.

For those that are interested I am thinking of starting a Blog to diary my progress. At the moment that consists of building a 1/5th scale model of the layout using 1mm & 2mm mounting card but it is helping to give me ideas for landscaping and resolving any potential clashes between point motors etc. and baseboard formers. Hopefully I will get the pics linked to MRF in the near future.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Thanks for the information Peter.

I have already uploaded some pics to Photobucket so all I need to do now is make the 2 talk to each other.

For those that are interested I am thinking of starting a Blog to diary my progress. At the moment that consists of building a 1/5th scale model of the layout using 1mm & 2mm mounting card but it is helping to give me ideas for landscaping and resolving any potential clashes between point motors etc. and baseboard formers. Hopefully I will get the pics linked to MRF in the near future.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Jan 2008, 21:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Trevor and welcome aboard,

I like the look of that layout plan, loads of potential there. Iwas wondering what the Chinese will make of someone modelling the GWR?

Regards

Hi BRITHO,

I can tell you in 2 words - "Mad Gwailo". My wife, however, is very enthusiastic about the idea and keen to help with the scenery/landscaping. The Chinese are, after all, the original experts at papier mache.

Glad you like the layout plan. The 1/5th scale model of it is coming along nicely. I now have the viaduct and tunnel portals built and am working on the landscape contouring. Have you ever tried photo reducing N Gauge card kits to 20% of their original size and then then building them. Talk about microscopic!! A tunnel portal has 23 separate pieces and ends up being 2cm x 2 cm x 1.5 cm. Is that dedication or what ?

Cheers for now

Trevor aka Expat.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (john woodall @ 10 Feb 2008, 08:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Trevor,

Have you thought about putting in Hidden Storage yards?

A useful thing to plan at an early stage, putting them in in hindsight is a real pain.

John

Hi John,

Not sure I could fit any hidden sidings in as most of the space below the visible high level boards is taken up by the hidden return loops. Anyway I like to have everything where I can see it and it makes for operating interest when you have to organise incoming rolling stock for an outgoing train.

Thanks for the input anyway,

Regards,

Expat (aka Trevor)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts