Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous hobby of RC planes has folded (as the nearest airfield is now 3 hours drive) so I need a new method of squandering time and money
. Model rail appeals as it is suitable for wet and/or Winter days, but I am not a 'modeller' so will be buying in most of the rolling stock etc. Rather than leaping in with both feet I am researching what I can first, but expert advice is helpful (again the nearest Club is 3 hours + away). A couple of questions (may be wrong sub forum):

- My baseboard space will be 10' x 3' - accessible from long side and one end. I could go a little wider but my arm length doesn't reach 4'. Is this width going to be a major constraint in OO/HO given I was hoping for a double oval +. The alternative is N gauge but would prefer not to.

- My initial idea is to go with a British period setup (to have more fun with the scenery
. I will go straight to DCC if possible to save money later. Should I standardise on Hornby or Bachmann - thinking cost, quality, DCC system....? I will be mainly buying from Amazon (Hornby from UK or Bachmann from US). In terms of shipping the US is probably easier. Appreciate this is a personal preference (which I don't have yet).

Any other advice appreciated - I am a blank slate

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I understand you, I need a minimum of 35in so if I increased the depth to say 3' 3" or worst case 3' 6" I would be ok? Yes I will go DCC. I don't want to be limited to a simple shunting layout as I suspect I would get bored eventually.

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 34c good help

So use PECo track (I will get their Catalogue), no problem mixing/matching Hornby/Bachmann rolling stock and buy probably a US DCC controller. Is there any compatibility issue involved with buying say Hornby fitted DCC kit and using a US controller. You have lost me slightly on couplers (other than loosely knowing what they are) but will get there :).

Thanks again

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an aside. We had our first rain for 2 1/2 months yesterday - rumours we were seen dancing naked on the lawn are not true. Temp up in the low 30's, but that is now falling. I may have to put air con in the workshop where my setup will be competing with the garden machinery and my wife's floral art workshop!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As suggested, looking at a dogbone. If you can visualise it - base board set against a wall, outline measurement 9' along the wall and 3' 10" deep. Three 'blocks', each end would be 3' 10" deep by say 3' long, middle block would 3' long x 2.5 deep to help with access.

Could I fit a reasonable double oval on that with say a side spur?

6991 shouldn't you be out fighting fires/floods/cane toads :) I spent a year in Bandiana, dreadful beer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having done rough diagram with R2/R3 I am sadly coming to the conclusion that N gauge may be the way ahead :-( if I want the flexibility to expand/mod layout etc downstream. Can I assume that the OO comments would still apply ie interchangeability of Hornby/Bachmann, use of DCC. Is there a good availability of good quality N gauge rolling stock, track etc (appreciate there migjt be less choice than O0.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Sol. Did a quick internet trawl and N gauge is fairly constrained compared to OO/HO. I will go away and play with plans to see if OO will work (albeit constrained). My negotiations with my wife to have the Conservatory failed :).

Thanks for all the help - I will use the dub forums for next lot of questions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK - not my last :). Is there any reason why I can't mount my baseboard/trestle table on lockable castors so I can move it when I need access to the back/wall side? Then I could go to 9' x 4'. The setup will be in a 7m x 4m garage but the space I can (permanently) use is limited.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That could be done, but it would need to be very strong to stay rigid and I would want it motorised (hey it is 2020) so I won't go that route :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Biggles

A man after my own heart - I clearly recognise the comments on RC clubs etc and as I was never going to be a pylon racer, I want something I can potter at in the workshop, might have to install a beer fridge though.

Agree with everything you said ie I am going with a 2700 x 1200 top with OO scale. Given our 4 week lockdown I have done a lot of research/pricing which as you said made me suck my teeth a bit on total cost as I want to go DCC from the start.

My only caveat is that planning and building it will be fun but not sure (without any experience) whether pottering trains around a couple of loops and a siding will sustain me long term. Of course at that stage you can tear it all to bits and start again :).

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks - playing with layouts at the moment in SCARM (and waiting for a couple of booklets of layouts to help inspire me).

Also trying to get my head around insulfrog/unifrog for DCC (don't think I can wait for the new unifrog) :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I will be using Setrack at this stage. Why is electrofrog only suitable for Streamline? Are you then saying Insulfrog is my only choice for DCC Setrack?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I looked at Tillig and Kato but too expensive. Fleischmann is a possible but don't know how it compares with Peco in terms of quality (or its pricing).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My wife speaks fluent German but whether she wishes to be my technical translator is a moot point :). I will do a quick costing exercise, but being a poor pensioner the range and cost of Peco is attractive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi 6991

Did a back of a *** packet estimate . My possible layout is £350 for basic track in PECO ex UK, Roco is 600 +/- euros (with 15% Rainer discount) so outside my planned budget and not justified for a newbie. Certainly the Roco looks nice (and is easy to use in SCARM) but another day. I expected a torrent of comment on my choice of the Roco Z21 as my DCC system

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If I was going to stick to DC I would take up fishing :) :).

Nope - somethings are now definite it will be Roco Z21 DCC with Peco track (thanks for pointing me at Osborns) on a 2700 x 1400 board.

Joking aside, money is not a restricting factor but if I am spending thousands I would rather 'stretch' it out over a few years. I am bound to make mistakes and change my ambitions/priorities and that way less will be wasted (or I won't notice it so much) :).

Waiting now on a load of How To books from Hattons before going firm on a layout. I will close this thread and raise my queries in the other sub forums.

Thanks

Ps K surprised at your endorsement of the Z21 given your thread on it :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts