Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hi mate,
Another thing is that you could try and contact 'bjrangi' who posted many times on this forum. Pretty sure he is North Island, but he did some truly lovely things with British 00, and he would surely be able to give you advice on sourcing material and the best dealers to use.
Search for some of his previous posts and see if you can pm him. He hasn't posted for a while but he's a good bloke.
As the others have said 3' is a bit tight for 00, you would be limited to R1 and R2 curves, and unfortunately, this would look rubbish. However, 10' x 3' would be a pretty decent sized layout in N-gauge, but if you are like me, fat fingers and failing eyesight will be your enemy here.
In 00 you might also need to consider 2 levels too. The top level for scenics and lower level for storage yards, with a spiral at either end. Here you just need to be careful of getting the gradients right - you could also hide all the curves from the scenics. If you could say, pinch an extra foot or so at either end of the area, you may be able to manage. I'm just across the ditch from you, in NSW.
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
And introduce yourself to bjrangi, who has just returned to the forum after an absence. Have a look at his recent posts, he is also working on a 'lockdown layout'. You have a lot in common regarding your interests.

Lockdown Layout

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Just to add, Rainer Modellbahn in Innsbruck have a special on all Roco track at the moment, which may make a difference in overall cost. Plus sending to NZ it will already be Mwst free (-19%), so cost will be about 35% lower than list. Worth having a look I'd say, based on dwb's sage advice.

www.modellbahn.at

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
QUOTE (Kiwibarge @ 1 Apr 2020, 18:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As an aside, I will probably go with the Roco Z21 DCC system. Rainer has only a couple of Roco track sets on their site.
Mate,
I just re-checked - they have the full range, flexi-trak, points, with trackbed, without trackbed, all kinds, full range on special at -14%, which, after -20% Mwst, makes it a pretty good buy. I put the link below (without trackbed) for you to check out, you can navigate around the site for the options. The offer lasts until the weekend.
They are also pretty good with us down under, I have made several orders with them. You do not have to be Brain of Britain, or even a German-speaking wife to do this (my wife also speaks German, thankfully not as well as me).
Happy shopping,

Without trackbed

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hi Kiwi.

But if you just did DC analog and scrapped the bells and whistles DCC (plus both control and associated increased DCC locomotive costs) what would the Roco track cost look like then ?

I actually don't think DCC is for beginners. You have already stated your layout spatial limitations you could do something really nice with simple DC, you are not going to want 3 or 4 trains going all ways. Now, you might be really flash on computers and all that, but what is it going to gain in this case? Now, you can say "OK, Boomer" or whatever but close your eyes and think....

A single track mainline oval - marshalling yard at the back for assembling trains, a scenic foreground, a simple station with a passing loop/s, goods yard with shunting possibilities (local industry?) and all the control at your fingertips....think about it....more than enough for a first layout.

PS : 20% + 15% = 35% discount
PPS : If you are intent on modelling British Railways era - sort of 'last 20 years of steam' - right at this moment there are lots of bargain options for Southern Region and Eastern Region prototypes ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts