Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been modelling since 1959 4mm scale on 16.5 mm track . In those days it was only Triang & Hornby Dublo.. All progressed very slowly until 1976 when it was 'all go". I now have quite a large layout based on just about every period from Pre-grouping to green diesels . My preference is 1946 LMS West coast mainline ( I lived 10 miles south of Rugbyat that time). But basing my collection of stock to suit the nostalgia of my "spotting " days I often run anything from A4 s to Cardean and Castles to Bullieds. I hope to be able to participate on your Message Board . Tony O.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Welcome, Tony - enjoy the ride!

Tell me, now that EWS (Wisconsin) has sold out to DB in the UK, what's happening with NZ Rail?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tony.

I assume by your title you were also a fan of the original LMS diesls. Personally I am by preference a Bulleid man but am currently modelling BR transition.

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey
another fellow New Zealander on here,
too bad we dont have as much selection of british prototype models over here in our corner of the world but good to see some others with the interest

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (60134 @ 30 Aug 2007, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome, Tony - enjoy the ride!

Tell me, now that EWS (Wisconsin) has sold out to DB in the UK, what's happening with NZ Rail?

Thanks for replying 60134 .Regret to say that I am not up with the play with matters re N Z Rail , I must confess I thought that Toll Holdings an Australian concern was involved there.
Regards Tony

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 30 Aug 2007, 12:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the forum Tony.

I assume by your title you were also a fan of the original LMS diesls. Personally I am by preference a Bulleid man but am currently modelling BR transition.

Regards

Hi BRITHO I am also a fan of most things Bullied ( who was born in New Zealand)!!
I remember vividly A trip to Leicester to watch new 10000 arrive at 4 something o'clock. The platform end was packed & I was amazed at the number of clergy there spotting!!!
Leicester City were playing Spurs that day - my father could not understand how I could stay all day on a railway station
instead of going to the footy.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 30 Aug 2007, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

Who made your Cardean model?

Hi Neil
I bought a kit crudely based on the old Gem kit from The Kit Connection. All parts needed a lot of fettling but I think I am winning! It still needs painting . I have used a new Hornby "China" made B12 Chassis
Regards Tony

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 31 Aug 2007, 10:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am also a fan of most things Bullied ( who was born in New Zealand)!!

And I had completely forgotten that (hangs head in shame.....)

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE my father could not understand how I could stay all day on a railway station
instead of going to the footy.

I once went to the York model railway show whilst my father and brothers went to Elland Road...

David

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Conemaster @ 30 Aug 2007, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey
another fellow New Zealander on here,
too bad we dont have as much selection of british prototype models over here in our corner of the world but good to see some others with the interest

Thanks Conemaster . It depends where you live I suppose. Here in Whangarei there is one model shop selling everything from Model aircraft supplies (mainly)to painting by numbers, some railway stuff but I have bought from the U.K. from the word go . I suppose Aucklanders are a bit better off. Still the Visa is a godsend compared to the bad old days of Exchange Control regulations When the only overseas funds available were British Postal Orders limited to 2pounds per person per day.
It used to take ages to make up a decent order . Then it took 6 to 8 weeks to arrive(Airmail was too dear). Then to top it all a bill for Customs Duty took A lot of pleasure out of receiving a parcel

Best wishes Tony

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 3 Sep 2007, 12:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Conemaster . It depends where you live I suppose. Here in Whangarei there is one model shop selling everything from Model aircraft supplies (mainly)to painting by numbers, some railway stuff but I have bought from the U.K. from the word go . I suppose Aucklanders are a bit better off. Still the Visa is a godsend compared to the bad old days of Exchange Control regulations When the only overseas funds available were British Postal Orders limited to 2pounds per person per day.
It used to take ages to make up a decent order . Then it took 6 to 8 weeks to arrive(Airmail was too dear). Then to top it all a bill for Customs Duty took A lot of pleasure out of receiving a parcel

Best wishes Tony
Just out of interest, how long ago was that Tony?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 3 Sep 2007, 02:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just out of interest, how long ago was that Tony?

Hi Neil .
We came to NZ in 1967 & Exchange regs were in force then . I discovered that overseas funds could be applied for through a bank , I tried this to pay for a magazine subscription- having to complete lots of forms and undergoing what seemed to me to be unnecessary interogation. However Eventually got an international money order in sterling. I could not do the same for models because I would have to get an Import Licence, and they were issued on a Quota system and the toy importers had a monopoply.
So 2 pound British postal orders were the only way. We cheated the system a bit by getting friends to get for us . Also by visiting a number of different post Offices on the same day .
Goods ex UK did not attract UK Purchase tax as it then was (VAT ). We did get clobbered for NZ Customs duty sometimes
This continued for a number of years. Probably up until Credit cards came in to being.
In the 1980s Customs regs were relaxed so that any import under NZ$ 400 was duty free but over that attracted Goods and Services Tax (our VAT). Some items - Model railway equipment included - could be imported to any value but over $400 was charged GST. So there you have it in a rather large coconut shell ! Hope this was of interest .

Cheers Tony

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 3 Sep 2007, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil .
We came to NZ in 1967 & Exchange regs were in force then . I discovered that overseas funds could be applied for through a bank , I tried this to pay for a magazine subscription- having to complete lots of forms and undergoing what seemed to me to be unnecessary interogation. However Eventually got an international money order in sterling. I could not do the same for models because I would have to get an Import Licence, and they were issued on a Quota system and the toy importers had a monopoply.
So 2 pound British postal orders were the only way. We cheated the system a bit by getting friends to get for us . Also by visiting a number of different post Offices on the same day .
Goods ex UK did not attract UK Purchase tax as it then was (VAT ). We did get clobbered for NZ Customs duty sometimes
This continued for a number of years. Probably up until Credit cards came in to being.
In the 1980s Customs regs were relaxed so that any import under NZ$ 400 was duty free but over that attracted Goods and Services Tax (our VAT). Some items - Model railway equipment included - could be imported to any value but over $400 was charged GST. So there you have it in a rather large coconut shell ! Hope this was of interest .

Cheers Tony
Yes it was thanks Tony. I guess we have it comparitively easy now being able to use credit cards over the internet.

Cheers Neil

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Tony,
Although I now live on the Gold Coast I spent most of my life in Auckland. The two best shops for British were in Ponsonby and central Auckland. I've forgotten their names for the moment (boy I'm going senile!).
Anyway welcome to the forum...bro!
Les

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 6 Sep 2007, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tony,
Although I now live on the Gold Coast I spent most of my life in Auckland. The two best shops for British were in Ponsonby and central Auckland. I've forgotten their names for the moment (boy I'm going senile!).
Anyway welcome to the forum...bro!
Les

Thanks for your reply Les . I have been into Stokers ( Great south Road ) a few times, but like our local shop their prices are far too high .The landed cost of items from high volume shops like Hattons or Rails works out about half of the local price.( this varies with the ups and downs of exchange rate of the NZ dollar of course) . I remember one other AK shop was Platform 1 their prices were better and they stocked a lot good railway stuff but they disappeared a few years ago.

I would certainly choose living on the Gold Coast in preference to Northland , three storms since March have dumped some 24 Inches of rain on us- AND we've had drizzle and showers in between times , Its a pity there is no way of channelling some of it over there.

A few years ago we had a good holiday in Queensland travelling from Brisbane to Cairns by rail, stopovers in Townsville northwards and Bunderburg on return I enjoyed the "drivers" veiw on the Tilt-train . The Sunlander was pleasant and interesting if a bit slow.
What do you model? I have often thought of having a go at 3'6'' gauge- not NZ raiways because of the smaller loading gauge .
Ozzie would be better , but better still would be South African Rlys or Rhodesian Rlys. I lived in Rhodesia for 15 years And still remember the power of those big Garretts with awe.
Dream on.
best wishes Tony( 10001)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts