Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm Ryan, I'm 14 years old (9 August 15 years
), and I'm living in holland, I'm born in England, bit almost living 14 years in Holland, so my English is not 100%.

I've got almost 5 years modeltrains, I started with Fleischmann analogous, 4 years later I bought a Roco Digital LokMaus, and since 2 weeks I started with Hornby and Bachmann. I was on holidays, and I was going to the Griffithstown Railway Museum, and in the shop I saw a Hornby EW&S Class 60!
And in London a Shunter Class 09. Great loco's!

I've got a few questions, but you will see them at the forum.

Byeeee!!

Ryan

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome Ryan. Don't worry about your english, we'll work out what you are saying.
Anyway, your english is a lot better than my Dutch, which is non-existant.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its very refreshing to see younger members interested in this great hobby, I hope you enjoy it as much as i have over the years!!! Welcome to the forum Ryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welkom, hopelijk heb je veel plezier met je Engelse treintjes.

(sorry, i guess my dutch is better than my english
)

Werner

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about your English- native speakers of our language (in the South East particularly) often commit horrendous acts against our dear language!

(Have you ever heard of Estuary English, Ryan? One to look up!
)

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 3 Aug 2006, 22:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is that akin to gutter English?

Well, yeah mah', iss laach dis, innit. Laach, proper Inglish, yeah bruv!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>only Celtic
Would that be "P" Celtic or "Q" Celtic?

David

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll don't know the differents between the "P" and "Q"?

I'm just from holland, and I'm interrested in trains, so, I don't know much of the languages in England.
I'm already happy that I can talk English.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>'ll don't know the differents between the "P" and "Q"? question.gif ohmy.gif
I should have put a
on my comment. I wasn't being /that/ serious. However, it would be unfair of me not to explain the difference.

The "P" and "Q" names come from predominant sounds each type of language makes. "P" celtic languages are Welsh, Cornish and Breton. "Q" celtic languages are Irish and Scots Gaelic (sp?). Each type is mutually intelligible in the way that Spanish and Portugese are.

David

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Ryan
Happy Birthday for tomorrow (9th).

Enjoy the forum. Plenty to learn and you can always input too.

Looking forward to hearing what you got for your 15th?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Aug 2006, 18:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>'ll don't know the differents between the "P" and "Q"? question.gif ohmy.gif
I should have put a
on my comment. I wasn't being /that/ serious. However, it would be unfair of me not to explain the difference.

The "P" and "Q" names come from predominant sounds each type of language makes. "P" celtic languages are Welsh, Cornish and Breton. "Q" celtic languages are Irish and Scots Gaelic (sp?). Each type is mutually intelligible in the way that Spanish and Portugese are.

David

Chan'eil. I can get by with Gaelic but most Welsh is lost on me. They aren't as mutually inteligible as Spanish and Portuguese. Even Breton which developed from Welsh would not be easily understood by a Breton speaker now.

Ach, agus ceud mile failte an forum Ryan, (Oh, and welcome to the forum Ryan).

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 8 Aug 2006, 16:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ryan
Happy Birthday for tomorrow (9th).

Enjoy the forum. Plenty to learn and you can always input too.

Looking forward to hearing what you got for your 15th?

Thanks!!
Now I'm more than €230 bigger.

So, I'm going to buy a locomotive (I still can't choose one
), an maybe a transformator, or/and some track.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I can get by with Gaelic but most Welsh is lost on me.

That's the point. Gaelic is Q celtic and Welsh is P celtic, so they aren't mutually intelligible.

>Ach, agus ceud mile failte an forum
To which an appopriate reply might be : Go raibh maith agat. (Thank you, or more literally "may good be with you".

David

1 - 20 of 26 Posts