1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people,
im new to the forum,
my name is ben and im from essex, uk
i am more of a slot car fan than a train fan.. ( reason why is becuase slotcars are a hell load cheaper
, well some
)

any ways, while digging through my loft the other day, i came across a hornby railway set which is called "country local"( comes with track and power pack) and the train is called "highland railway , ben-y-gloe #6"
it is in fairly good con and i was wondering if any 1 could tell me some info about it.. i have seen none of them on ebay ( which i like to call fleabay
)

well any info about it would be great , oh and is it consided to be " rare or expencive " which i heard from someone..

cheers ben

·
Registered
213 Posts
Right,-when you say 'train',-I assume you are refering to the locomotive..[the train is formed of the rolling stock that the loco hauls..]

Hornby's 'Ben-y-gloe' was one of their Caledonian 0-4-0ST's in a blue livery,..but,-I'm afraid it is neither rare or valuable....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Dear Ben,
Welcome to the forum.

Your train set was made specially for 'Toys-R-Us' stores in 1994 and 1995. About 12000 sets were made.

The loco was also released on its own as R072 from 1996-2000, about 3000 were sold. It is one of many variations Hornby produced of the 'Caledonian Pug'.

(See Pat Hammond's book 'Hornby Railways, the story of Rovex, Volume 3 1972-1996, published by New Cavendish Books in 2005.)
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all ever so much for telling me info about my set,
and also welcoming me to the forum

cheers ben

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ben.
No reason to argue with John Webb, 'cause he's right.
If you must get rid of your set and not take up Railway Modelling, I would think that an ebay entry, with the right info. given, was a reasonable way to sell.
Better still, keep it and become a railway modeller !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi Gwent rail
i might put it on ebay for a reasonable price £25-£35
before i started slot cars and scalextric. i was think of buying the virgin train set because it was so much cheaper back then and the detaling was amazing , it just kicked scalextric outta the window then but ever since , ive noticed the prices have been going up &up , it was starting to get to a price i could'nt aford so i started scalextric.
also you need a rather big track to have great fun with it which will probal cost around £100 ( i think )

cheers ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts