Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I have been around along enough to introduce myself and thank everybody for the postings in this Forum, which makes for informed reading as to what people think of what the model producers get upto/away with, as well as assisting modellers in their interests, as well as bringing news.

I am currently working as a Computer Operations Analyst, but with retirement in sight. My past life has been made up of living in Kenya Colony, up to 1962, with visits to Blighty for 6 month furloughs, either in W. Yorks or Abbey Wood, London. Both locations thankfully well placed on a Railway Line.

During my sojourn in Kenya, my father worked as an Accountant for the Common Services, which ran, amongst other things, the Railways and the Royal East African Navy (visit to Kilindini, Mombasa) and we had friends who owned a farm in Nanyuki, nr. Mt. Kenya. This naturally lead to an interest in railway models, and of course my parents did everything to help in this area. We also had J.N. Maskelyne as a family friend for a while, although he was principally employed as the family magician (Ex-Pats were good for parties, children not excepted), I can not remember if he had any direct bearing on the railway interest.

Anyhow, 1962 brought us back to U.K and my chosen school was at the side of the Great Central Railway, so trains to school until some bright spark in the BRB decided that this treasure wasn't wanted as part of the family silver. Railways continued as an interest, and, this was aided and abetted by a teacher who took us to Doncaster, on the occasion of the refurb of the Flying Scotsman, and generally furthered the railway interests of young pupils. He was a diamond in a very austere setting. Schooling also bought an interest in History, general and military, and lead to going to Teacher Training College (replaced by Universities, for some unknown reason). Qualified, but my direction changed eventually ending up in computers.

My interest in railways continued on and off, latterly a railway layout has found a home in the loft (fully lined out with appropriate electrics), with the support of my wife, who visits railway places of interest (etc.) with me. Railway interests are B.R 1955-1969, steam diesel and electric. The railway in the loft is OO Gauge, dcc controlled, with the possibility of having OLE installed. I also have an interest in Model Warships, which I have held as long as I have had an interest in Railways.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Hugh welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting life.

Childhood in Kenya must have been good. It's a very beautiful country. Did you ever take the Nairobi to Mombasa train trip? I did it in 1989 and it was fantastic. The dining car had silver service and the cabins had wood pannelling. It was like going back to the forties. Absolutely fantastic.

Oh, I like model warships too. Wood or plastic?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI,

Yep, sure did. On the Mombasa rail journey the train would stop for Lunch/Dinner and we would disembark from the coaches (American Alu coaches, which had collapsable bunks for sleeper use) walk along the line to the Restaurant Car (Health and Safety would die at the thought of that one!). Following the meal, the train would stop and the reverse would be done. I wonder if that is still being done. Due to my dad's position, a visit to the Beyer-Garratt would be included in the trip. Same happened in Kilindini Harbour, one particular visit I remember was to the armed trawler HMS Rosalind (REAN was a small navy at the time.)

Living on the farm, which happened quite frequently was another plus; the farm being 5 sq. miles in size, with Mt. Kenya as a view. The train trip to Nanyuki, normally overnight was something else.

Ship interests are plastic, they started as the usual 1-600 Airfix, or Revell,progressed to 1-400 Heller ships (built the French Navy - I have part French Blood, it would seem. Needless to say, there have been a few visits to France, even just to buy Heller warships!). I am starting up a collection of 1-350 Tamiya/Trumpeter models, one of which is the venerable HMS Hood, which was my Uncle's ship. Useful forum on this shop can be found www.modelwarships.com. I find that the latest ship models coming from China are exceptional, in the same way that the detail of the Hornby Models has improved greatly. I am also starting to look at resin ship models, just for a change!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Yep, sure did. On the Mombasa rail journey the train would stop for Lunch/Dinner and we would disembark from the coaches (American Alu coaches, which had collapsable bunks for sleeper use) walk along the line to the Restaurant Car (Health and Safety would die at the thought of that one!). Following the meal, the train would stop and the reverse would be done. I wonder if that is still being done. I think they've changed the coaches. When I did it the train didn't stop, well it did but not for the reasons you said, you had to walk down the train from coach to coach. Great trip though. The Kenyan coast was very beautiful. We rented a house on Lamu for a month. I could easily go back and live there. Loved it.

The new Chinese models seem really good, I have had a look at them. Unfortunately I am out of space to put boats on as built too many of the wooden variety which are quite large and take up a lot of space. That's why I got into model rail oddly enough.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome to the world of MRF.

Looks like you have a wealth of knowledge there Hugh.

Regards

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts