Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Postage for the turnout from Plaza is $4.80. The HM customs website says import duty for "toys" is between 0 and 4.7% plus the 17.5% VAT. Which still makes it cheaper than MG Sharp. That is if customs actually charge you anything. I've bought from Plaza and didn't get charged by customs.
Last delivery took 5 days from Japan, quicker than a lot of UK sellers!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Between bachmann E-Z and Atlas Tru-track I would lean Atlas' way as when you've done the track can be separated and used as normal set track. E-Z comes in steel and nickel silver so make sure you have the latter.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 26 Jan 2007, 22:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Postage for the turnout from Plaza is $4.80. The HM customs website says import duty for "toys" is between 0 and 4.7% plus the 17.5% VAT. Which still makes it cheaper than MG Sharp. That is if customs actually charge you anything. I've bought from Plaza and didn't get charged by customs.
Last delivery took 5 days from Japan, quicker than a lot of UK sellers!

So, if you get "caught" (& as a retailer I would just love a level playing field) that makes it £29.33 & that's before the handling charge !
Not much of a saving in the end - you could also ask MGS if they could match the total price !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Folks,

Starting to like the look of Kato track now, but trying to find a dealer is tricky.

We're investigating Plaza Japan but I would rather buy locally and don't mind paying a UK price for it - MGSharp don't have much stock of Kato HO at the moment and won't have until after we need it unfortunately - so can anyone make a recommendation about UK model shops (on and offline) that stock it? I'll travel to get it if they don't ship, not fussed about that.

Thanks for the help!

Matt.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
HM Revenue and Customs say on their website that "for purchases bought by yourself with a value over £18 you may have to pay duty depending on the product; it may also be liable to VAT. Under that amount you will not be liable."
So for buying most of the Unitrack there would be no question of "getting caught".
As a customer I would just love it if MG Sharp had some competion for selling Kato Unitrack in the UK. How about importing it dbclass50?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.