Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anybody tell me whats the difference between bachmann spectrum ge-70 ton loco, single motor drive type and the new type bachmann ge-70 ton loco with dcc fitted as I want to use one of these for a on30 scale kit bashing project, has the early models got better geardrives etc, thanking you Firefly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm going to guess that its just the addition of the chip. But as I only have one of the newer chip-fitted ones i can't be sure

QUOTE (firefly @ 9 Nov 2008, 14:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi can anybody tell me whats the difference between bachmann spectrum ge-70 ton loco, single motor drive type and the new type bachmann ge-70 ton loco with dcc fitted as I want to use one of these for a on30 scale kit bashing project, has the early models got better geardrives etc, thanking you Firefly.

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (firefly @ 9 Nov 2008, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi can anybody tell me whats the difference between bachmann spectrum ge-70 ton loco, single motor drive type and the new type bachmann ge-70 ton loco with dcc fitted as I want to use one of these for a on30 scale kit bashing project, has the early models got better geardrives etc, thanking you Firefly.
The early version used 2 power trucks with a motor in each .It was very handy for traction/interurban modelers in the US and tram modelers etc .The later version uses a single motor and shafts .no idea which one runs better .The GE44 tonner is the same .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Gene @ 9 Nov 2008, 20:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm going to guess that its just the addition of the chip. But as I only have one of the newer chip-fitted ones i can't be sure
Hi Gene,how does your GE 70 ton loco handle at slow speeds, as I want to use this loco for slow running,regards Firefly.

·
Registered
762 Posts
QUOTE (firefly @ 10 Nov 2008, 03:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi can anybody tell me whats the difference between bachmann spectrum ge-70 ton loco, single motor drive type and the new type bachmann ge-70 ton loco with dcc fitted as I want to use one of these for a on30 scale kit bashing project, has the early models got better geardrives etc, thanking you Firefly.

If its the same as the 44tonner which I believe it is, mine ran very well. I.also used it for on On30 conversion
Andrew

·
Registered
114 Posts
Firefly....it runs most excellently at slow speeds both in DC and DCC. I'd say it has slightly finer control with DCC but I suspect thats more to do with DCC than the loco itself. As with all locos, it improves with a good break-in run.

Cheers
Gene

QUOTE (firefly @ 9 Nov 2008, 17:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Gene,how does your GE 70 ton loco handle at slow speeds, as I want to use this loco for slow running,regards Firefly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts