Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe now that the forum has part split would be a good time to put an end to this constant flaming between the "I don't think HO continental is worth the extra money" & the "you get what you pay for with OO" type posts. Please note I have just quoted a couple of "typical" viewpoints (one from either "side").

I model (mostly) in mainland european HO & am well happy with it. I'm not going to discuss why as I have already made my reasons/views well known elseware.

Other people model in OO & are well happy with it, for there own reasons & many have already expressed their reasons/views well known elseware.

So, if you model in OO & don't like HO for any of the well worn & tired subjectsalready flamed to death then please don't come here with a confrontational attitude or you will certainly get flamed.

In return I would suggest that the "HO camp" do the same with regards to the OO section. I certainly am prepared to do so.

Let's face it we are supposed to be modelling the same basic thing - wheeled vehicles that run on rails. Let's all try to get on a little better. I'm not saying there is no room for comment or critisism, but let's try & keep away from the ;

"I don't like the Hornby locos with the flangeless wheels - you don't get that with Fleischmann" or

"I dont think it's worth paying all that money for Marklin - my Bachmann locos run just as well"

type comments (& they are purerly examples of the type of comments I mean - they are not for further discussion, if you get my point).

HO & OO modellers can learn from each other, there is loads of common ground, especially with electrics & scenery.

What do others think ?

(Now where did I put my hard hat ?)

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Totally agree!

Modellers of all persuasions simply want to enjoy whichever fruits they like because its their cup of tea or bottle of snaptz.

If Hornby have produced a cracking model then those who are interested can talk about it and if Marklin have produced a cracking model those who are interested can talk about it! And whilst things may not be our cup of tea or bottle of snaptz there is nothing wrong with taking a sneeky peak at aspects of the hobby that may be foreign to us.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with constructive critiscm and if Hornby have got something wrong that they should consider correcting they need to know about it and if Marklin have got something wrong that they should consider correcting they need to know about it.

Please don't mistake this however for knocking a company because another company does things differently. This is not what we are here for and will not be tolerated!

The Model Rail Forum members are very capable of policing this themselves so please do!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I suppose I live here now!! That's the problem with modelling British HO, it ain't OO but then again it ain't continental/overseas.

Regards

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hear hear to db, Neil, and boilermaker...this is supposed to be fun (except when it isn't, of course).

I'll be mostly over in the Brit OO section, but that doesn't mean I won't read this one, or the international pages, etc.

Gawd. Live and let live, for Pete's sake.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys,

We are all in this hobby for the fun. When it is not fun anymore, get out.

Respect each others preferences even if you do not like what a fellow modeller is modelling. Why would you criticise somebody's choice of scale or railway whilst you can spend that same time and effort enjoying what you are supposed to enjoy - your own model railway. I do not say that there is no place for constructive critcism, in fact it is a good thing if it is given with the necessary respect.

It does not matter what scale or what railways a fellow modeller models, there is always something to learn from his experience of the hobby.

This hobby has to compete with many other hobbies and will only survive if we model train fanatics are prepared to share the hobby with fellow modellers and newcomers and promote this hobby by our example of appreciation and respect for each other's preferences.

Remember the feeling you had when you unpacked the last locomotive you purchased and put it on the tracks and started it up for the first time? Well so is every other modeller entitled to that same feeling. Do not destroy that feeling and excitement with uncalled for criticism or remarks.

Let us keep on enjoying and sharing this wonderful, exciting and rewarding hobby and do our utmost to ensure the survival of the hobby.

Kind regards from a model train fanatic and proud of it.

Johan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 15 Feb 2007, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey guys,

We are all in this hobby for the fun. When it is not fun anymore, get out.
It does not matter what scale or what railways a fellow modeller models, there is always something to learn from his experience of the hobby.

Let us keep on enjoying and sharing this wonderful, exciting and rewarding hobby and do our utmost to ensure the survival of the hobby.

Kind regards from a model train fanatic and proud of it.

Johan

Extremely well put Johan,

I have always tried to see the other mans or womans viewpoint be it in my modelling or professional dealings. Likewise I have always tried to be polite on this forum, although occasionally I do get slightly peeved with some of what can only be described as childish comments.

I have an interest in railways worldwide, it's just that currently I choose to model the UK, having said that myself and a friend are currently planning a German Epoch IV/V layout.

Regards

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well said.

A hobby is meant to be fun. Perhaps people who have to knock others, their lives, and interests have a scarcity mentality - which is sad. And it makes for boring reading, doesn't it?

I enjoy the care and encouragement the great majority of contributors have towards others' work. Let's keep helping and encouraging each other.

Richard D, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 17 Feb 2007, 01:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi BRITHO,

German DB Epoche IV and V is an exciting era to model. We are also planning a DB Epoche IV and V layout.
Please keep us posted.

Kind regards.

Johan
I'm also doing a "somewhere between Epoch II and V layout". I haven't really decided yet. I was hoping to keep it ambiguous so it would fit all era's. This is one part of my new layout, another part is a Scottish fishing village and anothe either the Swiss, Austrian or German Alps depending on which train is passing through at the time. I wanted to do an American section but I ran out of room. Maybe the Alps could double as the Rockies
They do unfortunately look different and my European outline means I have to have catenary.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hallo Neil,

Although I am planning to model Epoche IV/V I am always looking for reasons to run Steam Traction on the layout because I like steam also even if it has to be a British, American or South African steam locomotive. I will not allow bad criticism to steal my pleasure of having steam on my DB Epoche IV/V layout.

The Flying Scotchman paid a visit to America and so did the ICE and if I am not mistaken the Thalys. Why can you not have visits by Ametican trains running tests on your European layout?

Just remember one thing. You are the stationmaster of your layout so YOU decide what, when and where. If you do something out of the "ordinary" it is your decision. After all you are in control of YOUR LAYOUT and you are in the hobby for the FUN. A model train layout must always tell a story without its creator speaking a word. The main story is made up by one or more stories/scenes within the main story (the layout) and you are the story writer. That is one of the beauties of this hobby - it allows you to give your imagination free reigns. GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK!

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Just remember one thing. You are the stationmaster of your layout so YOU decide what, when and where. Oh, I do Johan, don't you worry about that. I don't let anyone dictate what happens on my layout. Other than my two year old son of course.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Neil,

Yes, the apprentice stationmasters sometimes come up with some stunning ideas. Keep on "training" your successor.

Enjoy your hobby by sharing with your son.

Regards.

Johan

·
Registered
90 Posts
I model in both OO and HO, depending upon prototype, and do not find the two scales to be mutually exclusive. In fact it is a lot easier doing scenic work in these two scales because they are so close, unlike when I switch to O, G or N when it takes me a while to adapt for judging things like road widths, wall heights and tree sizes.

The current range of models available for British OO scale is now approaching the quality of American and European models. I know the track gauge is inaccurate but we have lived with this for many years now and I have no problem with it, it is no worse than British and overseas N gauge with two scales both using 9mm track.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts