Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gary sold me a really nice 0-4-0+0-4-0 HOe / OO9 Garratt recently. It is white metal and a little brass. It runs very well. Can anyone help in identifying the model and the nearest prototype from which it came?

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if it was that loco because of the cab.

This will go in my HOe section of my new layout - The HOe part will probably be DC as I really doubt that I'll fit DCC chips in to these little things.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I can see the appeal of HOe/009 as you get N gauge type space saving combined with HO type scenery and scale and the two are easily combined.

As an aside there was one N gauge exhibition layout at the Warley show that had a scale length of 7.4 miles (12km)!

It had two return loops at each end.

Its owners claimed that this was the longest scale layout at the show by miles!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
N-Trak Modules are very popular in the States because it lets you run very long trains. I've seen trains in access of 40 cars long and according to the NTrak organization they have run trains 50-100 cars long.

NTrak

If the model is Narrow Gauge HO that runs on 30" track then we would call it HOn30. I think in Europe HOe would be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I do concede the point on the position of the cylinders but the model is definitely based on the Tasmanian K1 which was transferred to the Festioniog Railway in Wales. It could be that the only way to produce it given the method of locating the body to drive units was to indeed place the cylinders this way around.

No matter Doug is very aware of the level of interest that was shown in this little loco and Doug admitted to me that he must be loco to pay so much for a small loco!

I actually think Doug got a bit of a bargain and I was in two minds whether to sell it as I did fancy keeping it for myself!

I'll buy it back any time Doug if you want to sell it back to me!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I was after another one of these little Garratts. I found one on eBay, unfortunately not workingthough. I thought, what the heck, maybe I can fix the thing if I get it.

Item here.

Only problem is that I don't really think that £102.00 is a reasonable price for a Non-runner.

The seller also sold a nice little Double Fairlie for £67.33 in good running condition.

Item here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cab/boiler section is very like the Darjeeling Garrett (also in the Backwoods range) but the bunkers are more like the K1. The Darjeeling loco had normally positioned cylinders. Guess it's a kind of crossbreed, but none the worse for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts