I received Brighton on Saturday - it is one of the best running engines that I possess even slightly smoother than the King Arthurs and they are good.
I've got three of the old schools and certainly don't miss the grinding noise from the old ringfield motors!
Other main benefits are:-
1. Cylinders now more forward (correctly)
2. Valve gear better particularly above the slide bar
3. The valve gear on all three of my old schools used to lock up occasionally - Brighton won't have this problem.
4. Lining more subdued on Brighton
5. Better detail all round (whistle, sand pipes etc.)
6. Stunning cab!
My only criticism is the fiddly plug and socket connection to the tender in common with the T9's and Britannias - I only hope the wiring stands up to it all.
Now waiting for Blundell's
Picked up my Blundells at the weekend only to find one buffer knocked off and loose in packing! East Somerset Models exchanged immediately for another which runs well. Very impressed. Blundells ran on the S&D so ideal for our club layout based on Binegar.
I hope Hornby produce a Southern livery version of Ardingly next year!
A forum community dedicated to Model train and railway owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about collections, displays, models, styles, scales, motors, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!