Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Michael, there are a number of things to bear in mind with OO in the garden.
1. Make sure that the track you are using is nickle-silver as the older Hornby track is steel and will rust immediately - if you are not sure test it with a magnet, if the magnet grips it it is steel and not usable.
2. Use the longest lengths of track that you have as rail joiners will give poor electrical continuity outside. Or solder all rail joints (when you have the track layout you know you want to keep), or solder wires across every joint or at the very least run some power wires direct to different parts of the track to reduce the voltage drop. If you intend to use DCC you will need very good connections between rail lengths. Do not use the standard power clip, solder the wire to the outside surface of each rail.
3. I recommend keeping all pointwork under cover as it depends on simple contact between the blade and the rail for electrical continuity and other moving parts. A garden shed or leanto is ideal for this or even a roofed overhang helps - I know one person who uses 2 greenhouses. This also means that a station, sidings etc can all be put under cover and its a good place to control the trains from anyway as it is dangerous to use a mains powered controller in any moisture laden environment!!!
4. You will need to clean the track before each running session as well as it will tarnish faster out of doors, and wormcasts and leaves on the line have a whole new meaning! I know that PECO did a 50p leaflet on 'OO in the Garden ' but I am not sure if it is currently available.

Hope I am not putting you off, but a bit of work will stop any disappointment from poor running.
David Y

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.