as I have no room for a set up indoors and get fed up takinging it up and down

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 21 Nov 2007, 18:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OO/HO can be run outside - there are a couple of people using OO outdoors on DCC on the DCCUK Yahoo Group.

Keeping the track clean & clear is the main thing.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Is there any things that I need to bear in mind when setting it up outside

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 21 Nov 2007, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OO and HO works very well in the garden, particularly for running full size trains. Keep the curves and any gradients as gentle as possible. I would go DCC for two simple reasons: the higher (and adjustable) voltage AC will be more reliable than DC, and there is no need for any sectioning to run multiple trains on the same track. A low wood construction little heavier than for indoor layouts, (ideally in tanalised timber) is more than adequate as a track base, and has the advantage of being easily adjusted for level; and both readily altered in layout, and removed should the need arise. (I read about people putting in tons of concrete and brick construction to support maybe 50 kilos in total of track and trains, and wonder.) Low hedging with small densely leaved evergreen shrubs provides very effective 'landscaping'.

Edited to add: traction tyres (and thus Hornby tender drives) are next to useless if the rails are at all wet. What you need is weight in the locos. The central motor, all wheel drive and pick up, diesel types are typically heavy enough. Most UK steam models can usefully use extra weight.

Thanks for the info.

If all of the power supply is in a shed are they both as safe as each other

Or is there anything I need to be aware of as I have a 3 1/2 year son who wants to play with it with me as well

( I think he wants to build Sodor Island and get Thomas and his friends round !!)

Also all of the trains and stuff I have is just normal hornby what would I need to get to go Digital ?

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so far for the advice

A couple of questions

1. With the digital are they all compatiable or if I have hornby do I stay hornby

2. Can any train go digital
I have the eurostar set and the orient express set just standard plus a few other odd trains

3. Whats the best way to get it off the ground and how high is best

Thanks again in advance

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.