Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just got my Hornby catalouge through the post and like it very much. However, I have a question about the new Merchant Navy; French Line, p.37.

I thought that the newer MN models from Gen-Naviagation onwards have the third window set forward. Which looks better to me and appers to be used most often by drivers from the photos I have (I will be careful here, it is true none of the pics has snow in!).

The French Line clearly has all three windows with glass behind them. Are Hornby switching between open and closed windows? As I mail order and I like the window open - I think I need to find out first.

p.s Has anybody cut out the last window to get the effect. I have Port Line, but am reluctant to take the knife to it. Or can I get a whole new body with the window open?

Its a small point about looks I know, but any info would be helpful.

TVBG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Volebender
As you can probably tell from the title I am a bit of a MN fan ! Model wise,I have 35012 United States Line converted to 35008 Orient Line and weathered and 35020 Bibby Line,which I keep changing my mind over converting possibly to 35030 Elder Dempster.
As you are probably aware,the rebuilt MN's had a 3 window sliding arrangement,the rearmost pane (no.3 for the purpose of this discussion) being mounted into the innermost groove (closest to the interior) and no.1 being mounted in the outermost.The two MN's I have are both depicted with no's 2 and 3 in the forward position with only one pane (no.1) visible.Having perused a few (dozen!) photos the majority I have in my collection show the same arrangement preferred by the driver,ie 2 and 3 slid forward,in fact to a very high percentage.
I don't have the new Hornby catalogue yet,but I have managed to find a picture of 35019 French Line C.G.T which as you quite correctly state shows all three windows in the 'closed' position,which from your comments and also in my personal opinion is not as desirable as the aforementioned arrangment.However,I am sure that a professional modelworks would be able to alter this at no great expense,I wouldn't fancy tackling it myself though !.
I take it you are a MN fan too ?
Regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orient Line,

Many thanks for that. I was wondering if I was the only Bullied fan who didn't like the windows closed. The Hornby model is lovely in any state, But I like the un rebuilt Battle of Britain more and when I really thought about it it was the window that tipped the balance. Strange lot aren't we?

I shall wait to see if anyone else has put the knife in.

p.s.

Perhaps the two of us should start a mail for Hornby and make sure the new Light Pacifics have the air ventilation in the on position?

When I have a bit more time I shall post you details of the reading/DVD stuff that Santa gave me over Christmas it will interest you.

TVBG

·
Registered
11 Posts
It most certainly would.
I would say having a discussion regarding sliding window arrangements on locomotives built 60 odd years ago is slightly odd

If I can work out how to post pictures you might be in interested in seeing my 35008 model.
Shall we start badgering Hornby to produce all 30 next year ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Orient Line,

I dug out the DVD I was talking about. I don't have much of a collection so i'm not really in a position to say too much. But reflections on Southern Steam by Transport Video Publishing was pretty cheap and offers a very good general overview, there is some very nice footage of the hump yard at Feltham.

What I really wanted to let you know about was 'Southern Railways in the Latter days of Steam' by Malcolm Castledine.

I bought it because i thought it was a general overview, but you will be pleased to note that it is a hopelessly biased book. Many pages, except for a few Standards,and what not, is and excuse for this great man to shoot a Bullied Pacific. (Black and White pictures)

I plan to build my layout around this gentleman's particular perspective of Southern Railways!

His comments on stations are often restricted to how Bullied friendly they were; e.g not Brockhusrt.

But one thing may upset you though, page 37. 35008 being..... towed through Eastleigh - sorry.

TVGB

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think what has happened is that Hornby are using a painted model which they have in stock at Margate and simply renumbering it for each new catalogue picture.
The tooling for the model has been changed, as outlined above, and includes an improved smokebox door shape, the more realistic open cab windows and finer handrails and stanchions.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Dan,

What you say at the Hornby publicity dept seems very likely. I could have asked the same question about the United States line model as well as French Line... looking closely at the pics.

TVBG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts