Rails seem to have published some info on the 2007 "new" releases from Hornby:

Blue Pullman
Rebuilt Patriot
Rebuilt Scot
Stanier 2-6-4T
Class 66
Dean Single
Caledonian Single Set

Plus lots of new liveries on existing Hornby and ex Lima.

No info on coaches, wagons etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Before we get too excited, the Blue Pullman is a set based on the FM Rail Blue Pullman using a Lima 47 and nanking blue mk2ds! Otherwise, it seems Hornby have given up having independent thought and instead just copying Bachmann's programme!! Yet another 66, re-built Scot and re-built Patriot? What a waste of tooling when Bachmann are already re-tooling their LMS 4-6-0s and already have a 66, complete with sound if needed. And I bet Bachmann's efforts will be cheaper ...

I wonder ... the ex Airfix Scot has never re-appeared. It was tooled and made by Sander Kan in China, who currenty make all Hornby's current stuff. Perhaps there's a link? I hope not, it was ok for its time, but way behind modern standards.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am all for the Blue Pullman set (Which is on my list all ready) ... BUT, is there any chance Hornby of doing the RBR Coach and some more FOs to go with it? And is there a possibility the second 47 might appear seperatly?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Before we too upset about Hornby duplicating bachmann let's not forget there is a long lead time in developing a loco and it is almost certain that those locos were on their way when Bachmann made their announcement. Just one of those things. I'll be buying the Hornby ones because I can be certain there's a 5-pole motor inside.

·
Registered
982 Posts
And unfortunately a DCC fitted chip too- which means at the very best it will cost £10 more. At worst it may hum and fry on DC

Russell

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I come from "Sarf of the river" where everything is Green and the sun always shines etc etc
can I ask what is the difference between a Fairburn 2-6-4T and a Stanier 2-6-4T loco then? Please can we have some photos some-one? Also would either of these tank locos have run on my beloved Somerset and Dorset line?

Happy modelling Stephen.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I believe the lineage is something like Fowler 2-6-4T; Stanier 2-6-4T; Fairburn 2-6-4T; BR Std class 2-6-4T. The most obvious change Stanier made to the Fowlers was the introduction of tapered boilers. Some of the early build had 3 cylinders but since they did not show a large enough reduction in running costs, the remainder were built as 2 cylinders.

Another change between Fowlers and Staniers is the addition of windows for the footplate crew. Differences between Staniers and Fairburns may be more subtle; I don't have details. I know that 2-6-4 tanks of most types were a common sight in the west Yorkshire which is my area of interest.

David

·
Registered
213 Posts
dwb - The final batch of Fowler 2-6-4Ts had cab windows.

The main differences between a Stanier 2-cylinder tank and a Fairburn are the shortened wheelbase (a Fairburn's wheelbase is 17 inches - I think - shorter) and the cut away drop from the runnng plate to the front end frames (this being cutaway on a Fairburn).

Compare the first Stanier tank, 2500 (now at the NRM:)

http://jjc.fotopic.net/p5082618.html

with 42073:

http://stevekempspreservedsteamlocos.fotop.../p36809719.html

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>dwb - The final batch of Fowler 2-6-4Ts had cab windows.
You're correct. According to the OPC 1955 loco book, 30 of the Fowlers got cab glazing. The list of Fowlers in that book looks to be complete from 42300 up to the first Stanier 2 cylinder loco at 424xx. Did they all the Fowlers survive into national ownership and beyond?

>the first Stanier tank, 2500
which is a 3 cylinder. I can't say that I see any external differences between that and a 2 cylinder model.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts