Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Medite Class 66 709 "Joseph Arnold Davies" (DCC Ready)
EWS Class 66 042 "Lafarge Buddoy Wood" (DCC Ready)
GBRF Class 66 702 "Blue Lightening" (DCC Ready)

Cant remember who said it but they were right hornby have jumped on the class 66 bandwagon.

whats the betting that they seriously undercut bachmanns price!!

Alistair

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A bit naughty of RoS however....

Hornby Class 66! They will probably do a "Class 08" and offer a higher detail version at a slight price premium. I wonder if Hornby have any plans for an HO version for Hornby International?

Funnily enough I was looking at the reincarnation Blue Pullman yesterday as there are plenty of pictures scattered around the web. It would be a decent purchase for any period from the 1980's onwards and for any layout. Interesting to note the use of the ex Lima Class 47. It always seemed heavier and chunkier than the Hornby version so a reasonable move and with the better Hornby tolerances on fixtures, finish and fittings.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Another leak here complete with prototypical Blue Pullman picture. The RoS list is incomplete as little coach and wagon and digital and Live Steam news so surprises still in the offering and also possibly locomotives still to be unveiled. I overlooked the fact that Lima did a Class 66 so it will be interesting to see how the Hornby Lima price compares with the Bachmann version:-

Modern Railway Modelling

Thinking about it didn't Pat Hammond say that Hornby had 4 newly tooled steam locomotives planned? Or was it three?
I don't see any on that list and it is not confirmed if the Class 56 is a newly tooled model although the rumours doing the rounds among the modelling clubs suggest it is.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
229 Posts
Read the list again Gary!

The new tooling steam models would be the re-built Royal Scot, re-built Patriot and the Stanier 4-cyl 2-6-4 tank.

The have also reintroduced the Caledonian Single as a train pack (might get this), and the Dean Single as a single locomotive, 3031 Achilles (highly likely that I will try and get this!).

Obviously the coaches and wagons have not been added to that list yet, but I think it is an open secret that Maunsell coaches are on the cards.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
982 Posts
I understand that the 66s are Lima reintroductions with a new drive chain. I suspect that these will be designed by Hornby to undercut the Bachmann one. I seriously doubt they will capture the enthusiasts market but remember Hornby also have the young train set market to cater for where a 66 will definitely be usefull as thats the train little Johnny will see when he visits the big railway.

HSTs are also Lima reintroductions and apparently theres a Deltic in the freight set?!?

Have to admit , from having a range that wasn't up to date 3 years ago Hornby have done well to get a 60,66 and 67 in the range in three short years!

Its going to be an interesting time in the steam range if Bachmann make their Royal scot DCC ready rather than the Hornby DCC Fitted (or DCC Imposed as I prefer to call it). If Hornby get it wrong with their decoder and the loco either doesn't perform well on DC or lacks the sophistication of DCC then Bachmann could clean up.

As far as I'm concerned Heljan still take the lead for 2007 with a Clayton and the bravest decision of them all the Falcon.

Russell

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Would anyone know if the Strathclyde PTE Class 156 2 Car DMU would be DCC ready or not? Is it an ex lima and if so would it have the crappy motor that Lima used to use?

Good to see the Scotrail sleeper is coming out in a three pack that will save me a job.

Anyone know what this is?

Caledonian Single Train Pack Ltd Ed 2500 (DCC Ready) *NEW 2007*

It's a concern that many of these are DCC fitted.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>The new tooling steam models would be the re-built Royal Scot, re-built Patriot and the Stanier 4-cyl 2-6-4 tank.

If that includes loco drive and an NEM 652 socket with BR '50s liveries, I'm going to have to bring my MPD plans forward a year or two!

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 22 Dec 2006, 08:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>The new tooling steam models would be the re-built Royal Scot, re-built Patriot and the Stanier 4-cyl 2-6-4 tank.

If that includes loco drive and an NEM 652 socket with BR '50s liveries, I'm going to have to bring my MPD plans forward a year or two!

David
When I just looked it said they were DCC fitted.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 21 Dec 2006, 18:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They will probably do a "Class 08" and offer a higher detail version at a slight price premium. I wonder if Hornby have any plans for an HO version for Hornby International?
Happy modelling
Gary

Hmmmm....... Roco have produced various HO versions of the 08 in NS livery in the past - still obtainable if you look hard enough. It's a nice model & runs very well.

As for the 66 in HO, don't forget that Mehano currently produce them with & without sound and performance to match the real thing.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Over on rmweb there's a post stating that someone was in Rails shop when the hornby rep came in. He saw the presentation which includes 5 new maunsell coaches. So it would appear Rails have only got the locos in so far

Russell

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>When I just looked it said they were DCC fitted.
Oh well, I'll just have to wait for Bachmann to introduce their retooled LMS 4-6-0 chassis, assuming of course they don't go the same route as Hornby.

I do hope someone from Hornby is reading this and gets the message that some of us are put off by fitting a very basic decoder.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 22 Dec 2006, 09:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>When I just looked it said they were DCC fitted.
Oh well, I'll just have to wait for Bachmann to introduce their retooled LMS 4-6-0 chassis, assuming of course they don't go the same route as Hornby.

I do hope someone from Hornby is reading this and gets the message that some of us are put off by fitting a very basic decoder.

David
Over on another thread FolkstoneKeith said he had emailed his hobby shop with his views on the low spec decoders and they had forwarded it to Bachmann. Might be worth us all emailing Hornby and Bachmann and asking them not to use bottom end decoders.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 21 Dec 2006, 21:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would anyone know if the Strathclyde PTE Class 156 2 Car DMU would be DCC ready or not? Is it an ex lima and if so would it have the crappy motor that Lima used to use?
It's out now although they've already sold out of the initial batch, it is the old lima tooling but if it's like the other old lima stuff so far (excluding the 67) it will have a new motor and be equipped for DCC.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 22 Dec 2006, 11:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's out now although they've already sold out of the initial batch, it is the old lima tooling but if it's like the other old lima stuff so far (excluding the 67) it will have a new motor and be equipped for DCC.
Thanks for that. I suppose I will have to buy one now. B)

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
they have only leaked the cheap stuff. i wonder if there is more to come?

There are no retooled diesels/electrics announced. and only the odd refurbished hornby tool.

I think they are daft not retooling the 66. its going to be the biggest class of loco in the uk for the next 25+ years.

i am supprised about the 56. its just too mundane and not a good train set shifter. there i think it would be better to pop a new chassis under the lima body. of all the loco's we could have had. not a single new electric?

One note about the liveries. these last couple of years there has been an awfull lot of BR crests. there are so many wonderfull liveries it would be nice to see them in model form. there is still no silver A4. (i have been waiting patiently!

I love this line
"Hornby Consolidates in 2007"
Didnt we hear something similar last year? and the year before that?...
i wonder what a non consolidating year is like?

Sorry to sound downhearted but i was hopeing for something really special next year.

the dean single as a single loco will be nice.

Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Dec 2006, 11:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the dean single as a single loco will be nice.

Peter

Will the singles have an adheasion problem ?

I seem to recall that they were originally from the "magnahesion" era. Maybe, with some clever engineering they will power the "non-powered" axels or even (for some) the dreaded tender drive. There is nothing wrong with a decent tender drive either, if its done properly.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts