Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I know it's a big ask with this loco that most people on forums loath this product but I thought I would try it out on new hornby track with one turn out. On it's own fine until it hit the points then it leapt "gleefully" of the rails
. Put two carriages with it and again leapt disrailing the carriages
. Finally I tried it with an old metal hornby dubo lms carriage it could not even move it
. any one any ideas of the best way to weight it so it can't fly and will pull a dublo coach.
Cheers ken

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi
First can you tell me what loco it is Otherwise it is a little hard to help you out with this one. (Is the loco a T9?
)
Second Hornby track is very much out of gauge, the frogs a far too wide, allowing a lot of play when the loco pass through it.
I would suggest that you change your track to peco; if you are using more modern Hornby locos I would get yourself code 75, if not then get code 100.
Peco track is much finer scale than Hornby.
You will get much better running on this type of track,if layed well and looks far better.
Torrington

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Other questions that your answers may help us to diagnose your problem:

Have you checked the back-to-back settings on the wheels. Even a slight adjustment outwards (or inwards if necessary) can make a huge difference to the running.

Which part of the point is it derailing on: frog end or where the moveable blades meet the stock rails?

Does it derail in either direction through the point?

·
Registered
982 Posts
By the description Hornby Free loco I surmise thast this is an 0-4-0 from the Hornby collectors club. I would check your point work- is it laid perfectly flat - any other rolling stock have issues with it. If not then as SR man says it may be the back to back measurement on your loco that is at fault. In this case I would suggest contacting the collectors club and explain the situation- I would imagine they would offer to replace it for you.

These 0-4-0s are not great. They have a huge top speed which while entertaining for those who are young is not very prototypical . Such is the top speed they will fly off the track at curves. Have you tried running it at slow speed/moderate speed- does it come off then?

Russell

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all
Thanks for the responses it is indeed the Hornby collectors club 2009 model and it is a brand new hornby track from the western spirit box set, laid on a flat board but not pinned. All my other locos handle the layout including point perfectly, the carriages and trucks do until the hornby club moster goes on then it belly's
up at the points. Does that help any? I have not fiddled with the wheel gap yet as I am a bit uncertain of how.

cheers ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts