Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen elsewhere, and 34C also seems to confirm in the 2009 rolling stock thread that one of the models for 2009 will be a class 395 Javelin EMU.

Pat Hammond isn't giving anything away in the MREmag but he does say that the 2009 range is not affected by the credit crunch, probably because the range was under development before the severity of the situation hit. There are new models that we expected and a few surprises.

So what did we expect? Anyone remember what topped the 2007 and 2008 wish lists?

LNER 2-8-0 is it an 04?
GWR 42xx or 72xx?
Signals

I suppose the Javelin is one of the surprises as I don't think it was in a wish list - but its not really a surprise given the classes use in the forthcoming Olympics. Probably the train will have a very high profile, being named after Olympians. Anyone know how many mouldings are required for a 5 car set?

Basset Lowke "O" guage will appear in the catalogue

Bad news is they still persist in an embargo so that model railway editors can rehash the press release for publication(Bachmann do it so much better simply releasing details to all at the toy fair). Good news is the info is released on Christmas Eve instead of New Year , although I'll be waiting for Santa to deliver 2008 releases (I wish!)

Russell

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
The Class 395 is probably a very good choice for Hornby. It is exactly the kind of model they will be able to flog for years especially with the Olympics. They will probably get six years of strong sales from it.

Good to hear the BL range will feature in the catalogue, I was wondering what was going to happen with it.

I think Christmas Eve is a much better date to publish the new range. I actually think Hornby handle this all very well, they manage to create so much more interest this way. Its all good fun, the speculation, the leaks, the lies....all good entertainment!

Rob

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't think the Class 395 Javelin is a surprise in itself, but coming in 2009 rather than 2010/11 has surprised me.
But then again, Javelin services will commence in December next year and the likely release date would probably be around Warley (November) or thereabouts, so it does make some sense.

The introduction of these EMU's is very high profile in east Kent (Home of Hornby) and that coupled with the 2012 Olympics, suggests to me that it was always going to produced, most likely in train set form.
I expect in the run up to the Games, special vinyls will be applied to the real trains, giving Hornby a further opportunity to issue another run of these.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Christmas Eve ?.It will be a fantastic chance for everyone to have a moan and rant why their particular favorite isnt going to made or is in the wrong version or colour and they have been left out of the loop yet again .Cant wait .

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I don't think the Class 395 Javelin is a surprise in itself, but coming in 2009 rather than 2010/11 has surprised me.

I suppose this way they get two surges of interest - now when it's introduced - and then a "kicker" in a couple of years time when the Olympics marketing band wagon really starts to roll.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Is it coincidence that today was the day that a 395 rolled into St. Pancras International for a press call?

See it here on the BBC website.

Cynical? Moi?

David

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Javelins would be a good complement to the Eurostars already produced. Now, if they would upgrade the class 92 as well, we would be able to start a reasonable model of the CTRL ...

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE we would be able to start a reasonable model of the CTRL
With all the new Southern models and now an extension to the CTRL range, I can't help thinking the design team at Hornby need to get out more.

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Dec 2008, 23:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>These Javelins look nice. Will they just run to Kent or will they run elsewhere? i.e. Scotland?

As I understand it they're dedicated units for high-speed commuter traffic from Kent, and won't be operating anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
QUOTE (72C @ 13 Dec 2008, 23:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please explain.

My perception is that Hornby are a "south England" company and focus largely on that region. Similar to how Marklin focus on South West Germany, Trix on Bavaria, Fleischmann on Bavaria and Prussia. Roco on the other hand are Austrian and focus on all of Germany.

Now not wanting to burst anyones bubble, But I cannot see Hornby bringing out an Olympic version of this train.

The IOC is very protective of the olympic symbol, and would no doubt ask a kings ransom to allow Hornby to use it. If you were prepared to pay twice or three times the amount for an Olympic verson compared to the standard version then maybe it would happen.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE My perception is that Hornby are a "south England" company and focus largely on that region. Similar to how Marklin focus on South West Germany, Trix on Bavaria, Fleischmann on Bavaria and Prussia. Roco on the other hand are Austrian and focus on all of Germany.

Now not wanting to burst anyones bubble, But I cannot see Hornby bringing out an Olympic version of this train.

The IOC is very protective of the olympic symbol, and would no doubt ask a kings ransom to allow Hornby to use it. If you were prepared to pay twice or three times the amount for an Olympic verson compared to the standard version then maybe it would happen.

This doesn't really account for the 153 (not seen within 50 miles of London, never mind Kent) the Pendolino or the HST amongst recent models . The Southern was traditionally neglected , and Hornby being in that territory tended to spot the big gap and offer something

Bachmann have a very strong LMS/LMR streak , but that may be connected with a PR Manager who's a third generation railwayman from Bletchley and whose previous employer was Virgin Trains. Given a choice between an ROD and a Super D it was predictable he'd go for the ex LNWR loco

Assuming Hornby were to produce a class 395 Javelin unit, then the question would be whether any of these would appear in an Olympic livery - since some will be used to provide a shuttle service from St Pancras and Kent to the stadium site at Stratford. If so, it might not be too onerous for Hornby to issue them in that form. Presumably if they were to look at these units , the trainset market would be foremost - since the logic would suggest an Olympic tie-in set for the same market that the Pendolino was initially aimed at

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 13 Dec 2008, 10:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The IOC is very protective of the olympic symbol, and would no doubt ask a kings ransom to allow Hornby to use it. If you were prepared to pay twice or three times the amount for an Olympic verson compared to the standard version then maybe it would happen.

More likely they would commission Hornby to produce them & sell them themselvces ?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE This doesn't really account for the 153 (not seen within 50 miles of London, never mind Kent) the Pendolino or the HST amongst recent models . The Southern was traditionally neglected , and Hornby being in that territory tended to spot the big gap and offer something

I would point out that it was just a thought and I did add a
to indicate it was a light hearted one. There's a lot to be said for creating a coherent range based on one area as it will generate a lot of sales from those that are interested. However any company with wider ambitions does need to careful not to alienate those with other interests, so on the grounds that it's been some time since there was a high detail Great Western steam release, it's their turn this year?

David

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE However any company with wider ambitions does need to careful not to alienate those with other interests, so on the grounds that it's been some time since there was a high detail Great Western steam release, it's their turn this year?
Hardly! When was the last 'conventional' 25kV EMU release? (i.e. non-special, such as Pendolino/Eurostar/APT)
Answer never... What about my interests being alienated on a continuing basis? Discrimination is what it amounts to!

·
Registered
999 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 13 Dec 2008, 10:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My perception is that Hornby are a "south England" company and focus largely on that region. Similar to how Marklin focus on South West Germany, Trix on Bavaria, Fleischmann on Bavaria and Prussia. Roco on the other hand are Austrian and focus on all of Germany.

Whilst Hornby/Triang/Rovex have been based in Margate, Kent since he mid 1950s, (the company currently carrying the Hornby name has never been based in Liverpool), I don't think you can call them a "South England" focussed company.

Yes they are currently releasing an updated Schools etc, but I don't believe they have made a Southern Railway/Southern Region EMU since the 1950s model of a 2NOL. Their steam outline range is peppered with A3s, A4s, Granges, Castles, Duchesses, 2Ps, 4Ps. Yes they do have Merchant Navy, Schools, M7s, & Terriers. But I don't think it's fair to call that a bias. Over the years they've offered Jintys, EM2s/Class 77s, AL1s/Class 81s, 57xx Panniers, Class 37s, Class 31s, Princesses (their first ever loco), B12s, Deeley 0-6-0s, Class 08s (which were an LMS design in the first place, Stirling Single "Lord of the Isles", Caledonian Single, Eurostar, Pendolino (WCML), Class 86s (WCML), Class 87s (WCML), & Class 90s (WCML), Class 91s (ECML), HST which ran in the former GWR metals and ECML but never in Kent, Class 92s, Blue Pullman (the original one), to name but a few.

EMUs, apart from the one mentioned, none, unless you count the 1960s NSWR Sputniks, but that was New South Wales - Australia, which was never sold in the UK.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts