Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have question I hope some one can help me with. This is to do with the waistline ribbing/beading on the class 31. This ribbing was removed during reburbishment (or were some built without it).

Hornby have produced models both with and without. I know 31111 has them (correctly) as does 31174 (correctly) and 31270 has none (incorrectly).

These photos on the Hattons site show what I mean

See 31174
http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=11897

and 31270
http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=10700

However is it only 31/4s that should have no ribbing/beading or was their removal more general?

For instance 31110 in Dutch livery does not appear to have any but it could have been removed at this stage?

Any help appreciated.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I know that on the conversion to 31/4 most lost the ribbing, I shall see if I can track down any definitive data over the weekend. If so I will let you know.

Regards

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks John

Since I posted I did find a picture of the real 31110 in Engineer's livery and there do not appear to be any ribs. Therefore the Hornby model is correct in this respect. However I would really appreciate more information about this topic.

Regards Éamon

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was under the impression that they lost the beading when refurbished (during the 80's?) along with the bufferbeam cowls as they were sources of corrosion.
Having just looked at some pictures though some may have had the bufferbeams altered before refurb possibly with accident damage.
That is why the model of 31270 is incorrect as it still has the buffer cowls but no beading. A lot was made in some quarters about it which seemed totally OTT for such a relatively small error (just got 31174 and you hardly notice they're there anyway)

·
Registered
763 Posts
As I understand it all 31s had the bodyside band on building (think it was painted white originally), and bands were removed during 1980s refurbishment (plated and sealed doors were part of the package I think)

The old Airfix model dates from the late 70s - hence pre refurb - and I think has the bands

Checking some old abcs, 31 268 appears in the 88 OPC volume in railfreight large logo grey , no bands, sealed plated over nose door, and plated over headcode box, with buffer cowls removed. Shot is dated 36/9/87

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 23 Feb 2007, 19:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is why the model of 31270 is incorrect as it still has the buffer cowls but no beading. A lot was made in some quarters about it which seemed totally OTT for such a relatively small error

IIRC,-you can just unscrew the buffer beam cowling from the Hornby Cl.31,-so this is easily corrected...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Removal of the bands was indeed a 1980s refurb measure - the plated nose doors that Rave mentions (and plated side footsteps) came much earlier, from c1976. All original 31/4s ('401 - 424) were refurbed, and later ones, '425 upward, were in that condition from the time of their conversion to ETH

Other than the 31/4s, the only Rail Blue refurb IIRC was 31156 - any other refurbed 31/1s carried Railfreight grey (or Red Stripe RF) from refurb time - and of course later liveries like Dutch. As Sponge suggests, any unrefurbed locos would almost certainly have stayed (theoretically
) blue til the end

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all your help. I have several Hornby 31s and they really are an excellent loco. Having never really left the hobby but not being very active for a few years I am really pleased with the new products by Hornby and Bachmann.

As regards the beading on the 31 it is hardly noticable in many photos. I might just leave mine as it is but if I was going to a respray on any of them I would use 31 270 and make the other required changes to turn it into a refurbished example. However thats a long way off, there are plenty more pressing projects.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You're right with regards the striping on the hornby ones being hardly visible anyway. If they are correct in scale it shows the older models of 31's as being a bit too big.
There was mention of an unrefurbed 31 being scrapped last year from preservation (possibly a swop for a different loco) anyone remember which it was as they mentioned a few others in preservation too. One I believe is D5518 (as was) on the battlefield line now I think painted from the "royal" green with white roof it carried when I saw it being named in 2002 and possibly the NRM one??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts