Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hornby 50 with a DCC socket and have pluged in a Bachmann EZ 8 pin chip. the loco hardly moves and the chip gets hot. any ideas.

BOB

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
First thing - does the loco run faultlessly on DC ?

If not then the problem must be sorted first - DCC will make a good runner better, but will make a bad runner worse.

I seem to recall that there was a problem with the PCB on one of the Hornby Diesels some time back - Hornby supplied replacement PCB's - maybe it was the 50 ?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** It is / was the 50. There is a "fatal error" on the class 50 circuit board.

If you plug in the chip backwards, the loco runs but the lights won't work. Plug it in the right wa round, the decoder is destroyed or damaged.

Hornby will supply a PCB at no charge if you tll them your problem / ask them ...or at least they would a year or so ago!

Richard

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have one of these early class 50s and the decoder doesn't get destroyed, the locomotive simply runs backwards, unless CV29 is adjusted to compensate.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Jeff, it most definately DID destroy the decoders in the first batch - I checked out the PCB in detail after I watched it happen (as one friend found out the hard way) and as it took a while for info to get out I also ended up covering the goof proof warranty for about a dozen decoders because of it.

Richard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 50 ran fine on DC. the chip go very hot. i'm hoping its still ok. i'll try it in aother loco.
thanks for the feedback

bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts