Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the photos of the new Flying Scotsman I notice that the wires from the tender connections are of a smaller gauge than the main wheel wiring. This is the same on my White Knight, same chassis. I had a problem where the loco stalled on points and all the power on one side was coming via the tender wire. I increased power to move the loco and horror! smoke started to come out of it. On disassembly the insulation on the wire from the tender was almost completely melted. After ensuring that the wire was clear of any metal parts or other connections I checked the loco on the straight, operation normal no other damage done. I would be interested to know if anyone has encountered this problem.

I believe that the tender pick up cables are too small a gauge to carry the current and this could occur on other models with the same chassis arrangement. In the meantime I have removed the offending wire and soldered in a replacement for the time being. I have not approached Hornby direct as I had previously disassembled the loco and removed the capacitors prior to fitting a decoder. I can not see any reason to fit a different gauge wire other than to ease clearance between the motor casing and the loco body, it can be difficult to refit the body due to the wiring.

The loco runs very well at present.

Brian

·
Registered
763 Posts
I haven't run mine long enough to see this problem but have noticed on my white knight a tendency for the coupled wheels to arc to the pick-ups when cornering. I wouldn't like to see the best part of a hundred quid going up in flames on christmas day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts