Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i am renumbering some hornby a3 . they are br green from super detail range but am still having trouble with the varnish type finish

please does anybody know the best or nearest brand

regards
tom

·
In depth idiot
7,668 Posts
Tom,

The Humbrol varnishes are capable of giving a match to the original Hornby finish (which I presume is the intention) but it is much more to do with application than the brand of varnish. A very fine sprayed on coat is what is required and you need to experiment first on scrap samples to find which particular varnish with your technique does the job satisfactorily. Trying to do it by brush is much less controllable. My starting point would be with an eggshell varnish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 9 Oct 2008, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tom,

The Humbrol varnishes are capable of giving a match to the original Hornby finish (which I presume is the intention) but it is much more to do with application than the brand of varnish. A very fine sprayed on coat is what is required and you need to experiment first on scrap samples to find which particular varnish with your technique does the job satisfactorily. Trying to do it by brush is much less controllable. My starting point would be with an eggshell varnish.

sounds like good advice i will let you know the results

thanks
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts