Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have just had a film studio contact me. They are making a TV documentary about the development of high speed trains in the UK and require a Hornby model of the APT. Hornby are lending them various bits and pieces but don't have any models themselves of the APT within Margate Towers. This is evidence that Hornby don't have the rumoured secret Indiana Jones type locked storeroom at Margate with mint examples within of every model ever produced by Rovex!

Would anybody out there who has a decent example of the Hornby APT be willing to loan their model to the TV studio?

This is your chance for fame if not fortune!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
They are probably going to put a lot of 4mm scale journalists on board and see if radius 1 curves make 'em throw up! The Hacks had a lot to answer for in killing off the APT....

·
Registered
122 Posts
If this is still needed after tomorrow, in other words if they don't get one, let me know and I will ask my mate who has a Model Shop and sells them, but it will cost them my expenses for the day being car park, tube travel and meals. Train fare from here? I have free passes to use, but when do they need it by?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE when do they need it by?

We'll see how the replies go and I'll contact the TV production company towards the end of the week.

The programme producer is aware of this request at Model Rail Forum and so may well be looking in anyway.

Therefore could you please all be on your best behaviour!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
I thought the problem with the APT was that it didn't make everyone sick. Add to that the reluctance of the thing to straighten up on exiting a curve plus the Tory party at the time and no wonder it went down the pan. Laid the way for the rest of the world to develop it as usual though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 2 May 2006, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is evidence that Hornby don't have the rumoured secret Indiana Jones type locked storeroom at Margate with mint examples within of every model ever produced by Rovex!

Did anybody think they actually had one??

Is this a modern myth?,-like British Rails' "Strategic Reserve" of mothballed steam locos

A few years ago when Hornby re-relased some of their earlier models they were buying secondhand examples of the old releases to give themselves items to work on,-presumably to repaint for catalogue pictures etc.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
As far as I understand it the APT did its job too well, fully compensating for the curvature. The problem with this was that what the passengers' eyes told them didn't match what their bodies were feeling and this caused the feeling of nausea. Branson's Pendolinos and the like compensate to a degree but not fully, giving the passenger the sensation of gentle cornering but not glueing them to the sides of the coach...

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE As far as I understand it the APT did its job too well
As far as tilting went yes. Hit a bend and it tilted...too much, too suddenly and levelled of too late.
It is often claimed that with time and more money (lots and lots of it), they would get it right.
However it is clear they went about it entirely the wrong way. They were trying to build software to react to the bends, and that's what it did, react. Doomed to failure!!

Pendolinos and other tilting trains use a different approach, and they work.

Same thing happened with Maglev trains. One of the big problems was lateral stability, lots of effort put in without much progress. The Germans and Japanese turned the polarity round 90 degrees, and hey presto! problem solved. However, there are many more problems and issues that hold back that particular technology. Shame!

Personally, I can't understand the desire to have an APT model. What does it represent?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Personally, I can't understand the desire to have an APT model. What does it represent?

Hi all

Just to remind folks that the TV production company are looking to borrow a Hornby model of the APT to help them with the production of a story about the history of high speed rail travel in the UK.

Your thoughts and views about the APT may well be of interest to the producers so please continue however let us not forget the main point of this thread.

I did warn the company about missing pantagraphs on the vaste majority of these models still in service with APT enthusiasts and we have had one or two good offers so the TV production company might not have to cancel the project!

If anybody has any ideas about replacing the missing pantagraph then that could be a clincher!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"Personally, I can't understand the desire to have an APT model. What does it represent?"
it looks cool-isnt that enough? does it have to represent something? i think this is another myth thaty you have to run paticular stock for a reason. arnt we in this to have fun. its a fantastic looking train. i just wish they had produced more coaches or at least rattled out enough coach mouldings so we can kitbash the intermediate coaches. (along wiht the eurostar and blue pullman...) the m,oment you narrow your field of interest you exclude so many wonderfull models.

as for the TV production...have tou approached pat hammond? i know he has one of each-both the yellow ends and the robin hood. he wrote a good article about it a while back. try [email protected].co.uk

Peter

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE "Personally, I can't understand the desire to have an APT model. What does it represent?"
What I meant by that, is that I personnally cannot understand......but I know others may want one for whatever reason.

What does it represent? well that's an open question. To me it represents failure, poor leadership and bad project management (not to mention politics). The sort of things people seem to treasure here in the UK, rather than celebrate the triumphs.
Compare the unsung success of the HST, arguably the most successful train in the history of the UK's railways, with the ATP, an abject failure, but still held in reverence by an element of 70's "rail enthusiasts".
Of course that's a matter of opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with my view, but you have to take account of the historical facts.

As for looks, that's subjective as well. It reminds me of the EPCOT centre as it was around 1990. A 1950's and 60's vision of the future, which didn't happen. Time and style moved on. Yes it looked great then, but now it looks like a machine from the past. Which of course it is, and it didn't work either.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE What does it represent? well that's an open question. To me it represents failure, poor leadership and bad project management (not to mention politics). The sort of things people seem to treasure here in the UK, rather than celebrate the triumphs.

My understanding was that the problems were not that big, it was more about the press rubbishing it which made it unfeasible to go ahead. Once the British press their teeth into something it's all over.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'd agree with the comment about the HST. They have enjoyed a remarkable life and look capable of having their first 30 years extended even more. They saved BR when they were introduced and offer greater comfort than many of their so-called replacements.... ho hum!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was watching a re-run of Discovery channell trains with pete Waterman on Saturday morning and it was the episode with the APT. £20 MILLION they got for development. Any how top speed 160. Pendalino 140. So much for Italian flair, giv
e me british grunt any day!!

Darren

1 - 17 of 17 Posts