Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE As far as I understand it the APT did its job too well
As far as tilting went yes. Hit a bend and it tilted...too much, too suddenly and levelled of too late.
It is often claimed that with time and more money (lots and lots of it), they would get it right.
However it is clear they went about it entirely the wrong way. They were trying to build software to react to the bends, and that's what it did, react. Doomed to failure!!

Pendolinos and other tilting trains use a different approach, and they work.

Same thing happened with Maglev trains. One of the big problems was lateral stability, lots of effort put in without much progress. The Germans and Japanese turned the polarity round 90 degrees, and hey presto! problem solved. However, there are many more problems and issues that hold back that particular technology. Shame!

Personally, I can't understand the desire to have an APT model. What does it represent?

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE "Personally, I can't understand the desire to have an APT model. What does it represent?"
What I meant by that, is that I personnally cannot understand......but I know others may want one for whatever reason.

What does it represent? well that's an open question. To me it represents failure, poor leadership and bad project management (not to mention politics). The sort of things people seem to treasure here in the UK, rather than celebrate the triumphs.
Compare the unsung success of the HST, arguably the most successful train in the history of the UK's railways, with the ATP, an abject failure, but still held in reverence by an element of 70's "rail enthusiasts".
Of course that's a matter of opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with my view, but you have to take account of the historical facts.

As for looks, that's subjective as well. It reminds me of the EPCOT centre as it was around 1990. A 1950's and 60's vision of the future, which didn't happen. Time and style moved on. Yes it looked great then, but now it looks like a machine from the past. Which of course it is, and it didn't work either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts