Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
This information and these images are copyright Model Rail Forum. You may use this information with the following conditions: You may take one or two images from each manufacturer as long as you host the image on your web site and credit the photography to Doug Teggin, Model Rail Forum. Resize the image if you wish. Use some of our comments and or make your own. Say where the images and original information comes from and add a link back to the article on Model Rail Forum. Do it like this (using the Hornby link as an example): [Original text and images via Model Rail Forum] or [Source: Model Rail Forum].

Hornby at Nürnberg

I walked around the stand and looked at the items on show in no particular order. Of course we have Hornby, Rivarossi, Lima, Arnold, Jouef and Heico products all on display.

Rivarossi

The Rivarossi Class E482 Series I and the Series III certainly look good. I bet that the Italian modellers are happy with these.

The Rivarossi Italian shunting tractor looks to be an interesting design. These little things could be useful on any layout to move rolling stock around. Sure they don't quite fit into British outline, but it would be fun to have them.

Jouef
Jouef fans will be happy. There are quite a few new models on show and there are plans for even more. I spoke to a representative from Hornby France who showed me over the range. We can expect the record breaking TGV and quite a few modern autorails and automotrice trains.

Hornby Digital
Simon Kohler let me test the new hand-held. Ok it was a mock up, but at least I got to hold it. Quite big - I would have expected a slightly smaller device. There was a Blue Hornby loco chuffing around the test track with a sound decoder installed. It sounded great, but it wasn't a Hornby decoder, it was just an appetizer for things to come.

Skaledale & Skale Scenics

Heico
Just a sample of one of the many wagon loads from Heico. The look great, but are not easy to come by in the UK unfortunately.

Arnold
Just a sample, but it seems that these N-gauge locos ar back in production.

HR 2017
This was on display and was very interesting. It was shown last year as a pre-production sample (link here). I met Frank Martin, the CEO of Hornby on the stand and he kindly gave me some of his time. He showed me the HR 2017 and told me how please he was with the response since the release of the model. My obvious question was: "Will Hornby use this manufacturing technique to produce a British model", he replied: "Why not". He went on to say that Hornby have considered this idea and there is a good chance that they will produce an edition as an experiment for the British market. Obviously selecting a suitable model that would benefit from this particular manufacturing method.

The HR2017 is a model representing the tender 2-10-0 steam locomotive class BR58 of the German Deutsche Bundesbahn DB railways in black and red livery. It has a metal boiler, chassis and tender. It has plastic detailing parts. The 3-cylinder loco has a inner cylinder simulation that drives the 3rd axle. It has forward and reverse lighting. It has a NEM652 Decoder plug, but one of the people on the stand from Hornby Germany told me that it had a 21-pin socket so I'm not sure if he was just wrong or perhaps there are plans in the future to update the model.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Looks like some very nice products from the Hornby stable & I must admit to wanting a 58 to try out, even though it's not one of my favourites.

Be interesting to see how easy it is to change the traction tyred wheels for the plain ones & do a back to back haulage test - if I get one I'll do just that.

I'll get one of those little shunting tractors (fitting a decoder will be fun !) & maybe the "en Vogue" diesel (nice artwork).

Thanks for the info' & pics Doug.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Doug,

Thanks for the reports, much appreciated.

The Rivarossi Br 58 looks like a definite winner to me. There is a bunch of people down here who has already ordered and one of them is yours truely.

But isn't it odd that no one knows if it has a 21 or 8 pin socket !?

Thanks again

Baykal

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 10 Feb 2008, 11:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My obvious question was: "Will Hornby use this manufacturing technique to produce a British model", he replied: "Why not". He went on to say that Hornby have considered this idea and there is a good chance that they will produce an edition as an experiment for the British market. Obviously selecting a suitable model that would benefit from this particular manufacturing method.
Excellent question, promising answer!

The ROD would be an ideal candidate. Fairly small boilered, so it can use all the weight it can get to drag a long line of wooden minerals. Think of the inside valve gear in motion between the frames visible under the boiler. But if they want to do an 'eye-candy spectacular' there is the LNER P2...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The more photos we see of the 58 the better it seems to look, I also like the look of the shunting tractor, not that I can really find a use for one.

As an aside the Skaledale windmill loks like it could actually be a scale size one.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts