Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying an example of these locos, and would be greatful of any comments as to the running qualities and how much space there is inside for DCC decoders. I'm interested in the newest versions that were made by Hornby around 2002 - 2003, at a time when I was taking a break from model railways.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Looking at the Hornby catalogue for 2003, it looks as if the B12 has a motor drive to the leading or middle pair of driving wheels with the motor in the firebox, the N2 would appear to have the middle pair of driving wheels powered, so in both there may be room in the front of the boiler/smokebox for a decoder. Might be worth looking at the Hornby website under Products for the relevant service sheet, which you can download free of charge.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 5 Feb 2006, 11:57)Looking at the Hornby catalogue for 2003, it looks as if the B12 has a motor drive to the leading or middle pair of driving wheels with the motor in the firebox, the N2 would appear to have the middle pair of driving wheels powered, so in both there may be room in the front of the boiler/smokebox for a decoder. Might be worth looking at the Hornby website under Products for the relevant service sheet, which you can download free of charge.

Regards,
John Webb
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The B12 has an M1799 motor[the little square open-frame one] driving the front driving axle,with a cast weight in the smokebox/boiler area.
The N2 has a can motor in the cab driving the rear driving axle with a weight cast integrally with the chassis block.
Neither are state-of -the -art mechanically wise,the running qualities are reasonably good,but not fantastically super-smooth.
As recommended above,check out Hornby's website to download the service sheets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts