Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I don't think its quite as cynical as that. I think its about offering a more price competitive product for those that don't want to spend £120 on a 9f. It has the added bonus of very little development work as the models are pretty much the same as older ones. Hornby are just trying to make money out of old items as far as I can see. I doubt there will be too many high end modellers wanting the H 9f but there will probably be a lot of people interested at the toy end.

Also we have reached the stage where most major locos have been made before. So there will be a lot of repetition between companies. It makes more sense for H to release a cheap 9F that a full priced one seeing as B already has that end cornered.

Just a few thoughts...

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (Noggins Friend @ 10 Jan 2008, 18:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who pays £120 for a 9F? My dealer sold me mine for £85. (32-855)

Hopefully not too many people! I have a Bachmann price list in front of me for 2007, the three 9f's listed, two are £117.50 and the other is £124.95.

Most retailers apply pretty heavy discounts these days although its rare to see a new 9F mush less than £90 at the minute.

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I think that with the new railroad range Hornby are trying to expand the size of the uk market by appealing to people who wern't interested before due to price. I don't really think the new range is aimed at Bachmann so much, but it may pan out that way.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.