Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
My local catalogue surplus shop has a quantity of these sets for sale. Originally marked down from a list price of £229 to £150 . They are now offering them for £110.

There seem to be 2 sets one which contains a Merchant Navy and 3 new type pullmans and the other with a Black 5 and 3 Blood & Custard coaches which I was not sure of.

Anyone know anything about these as they are obviously not standard Hornby catalogue items.

e.g are the coaches with the Black 5 likely to be the newer gresleys ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you talking about the Hornby PREMIER BOXED SET as i have the orient express one with the merchant navy and 3 pullmans coaches,but not sure about the one with the black 5 loco .

Heres some pics of mine i got last year for my Birthday which i paid £199.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one with the Pullmans isn't actually described as the Orient Express and I suspect like the Black 5 it is a catalogue(not the Hornby one) special issue. Unfortunately the boxes do not have the usual wrap around that comes with the Orient Express they seem to be just the big red boxes with drawers but no identifying labels. I could see enough of the Pullman set to know they were the new Pullmans with lights but I couldn't identify the Blood & Custard coaches.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The black 5 set is from the Great Universal catalogue definitely this year. I think there was another different set out last year. The appear in seperate supplement rather than the main catalogue. I don't know if the coaches are new gresleys but i wouldn't be surprised if they are. The annoying thing for me is there used to be a Great Universal clearance shop in Leeds as well as a major distribution centre both are now closed. If you can afford to i'd grab them both, you can always sell one on ebay!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts