Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 21 Jul 2007, 10:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those who missed out on the previous release of the Hornby Bournemouth Belle Train Pack may like to know that Hornby have produced a limted edition train pack of 1500 with this same title for Littlewoods. The loco is a Southern livery Battle of Britain and the set is being offered for £130 which is a bargain when compared with the £199 or more being asked at toy fairs for mint train packs of the earlier Hornby release of a few years ago.

Littlewoods are also doing limited edition Royal Highlander Train packs and Norfolk Man Train packs for similar money. All the images in the Littlewoods catalogue show a limited edition certificate for "The Excalibur Express"!

Happy modelling
Gary

Just a heads up to say that as of now Kays and Great Universal are selling these packs [BB + Norfolkman (Britannia) and Royal Highlander (LMS Streamlined Coro) at £75.... You can even pay interest free over 20 weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Romseyles @ 1 Feb 2008, 21:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like the look of the "Highlander", does anyone know if what is illustrated is actually what`s in the box? It looks like the latest streamliner AND the latest Stanier coaches. I have seen postings elsewhere suggesting sometimes the contents in some of the mail order catalogue packs might be slightly different from the illustrations?

Good price though!

That's the one I've resisted buying, just!. . The post you are referring to, may be that the Norfolkman Britannia was advertised as 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer - mine is 70008 Black Prince (latest loco-driven model) - in other words the picture is accurate, the description not. In the Bournemouth Belle, the Pullman are the latest improved model with lamps which illuminate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (darobi @ 7 Feb 2008, 13:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I take it these are Train packs and not sets? No track or controller included?

You might be interested in the Virgin Pendolino which Littlewoods Direct are unloading at £85.

After much umming and ahing I bought the Royal Highlander - this is a seriously impressive piece of kit for £65. Now to work out a plausible explanation of how this would appear at Sheffield Victoria circa 1959!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 12 Feb 2008, 10:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.... If only I hadnt pointed out the vat I might have got away with it!

Made me
. Commiserations - but as other FMs predicted they are popping up on eBay as we speak!

I've been a fan of these limited edition Hornby train packs for a number of years, though strictly speaking my layout only accommodates the GC and MR around the late '50s. I can't resist the darned things, especially when they appear either through the catalogue internet sites, Rails/Hattons and eBay at knockdown prices, after the premium selling period late summer to early December when presumably (bizarrely
) they are aimed at the young/toy sector of the market. My favourite, up to this year was the official Northumbrian, a loco-driven A4 pulling three very nice Gresley coaches in blood and custard.

I thought they were in a decline - Hornby haven't put out an official catalogue pack since the Devon Belle/Talisman a couple of years ago, and too many of the recent specials [always suffixed M, thus this year's are R2559M (Royal H). R2660M (Norf), R2661M (BB)] have been County or Castle with chocolate Mk1s nothing to get too excited about.

This year has definitely produced a rich bounty, with latest model Brit, Stanier coaches and Pullmans in the various packs. Here's hoping for a King Arthur or modified WC/BB with a rake of Maunsells, or for my extremely cosmopolitan layout, a Devonian or a Waverley towed by a Scot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.