Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (darobi @ 7 Feb 2008, 15:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Mrs has just ordered all three for me. We have got a buy now pay 2009 voucher
Coming Monday. Now should I keep them all or split them up. Southern region isn't my area but the Pullmans will go with the 6 I have.

At £65 a set I can't see the stock lasting much longer. I did notice that you have to search against the name of the set as they don't appear under Hornby!

Well pleased with the prices.

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

All three have turned up this morning. woo hoo. Got to go to work though. ggrr

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (nnich @ 7 Feb 2008, 21:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Martin
How did you manage to place an order? They say they'll only mail to the UK. I'm in the USA, and you say you're in Australia
Which site did you order from. I tried Great Universal

Norm

Norm If you can't get one PM me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bournemouth Belle set is now sold out via Kays/Littlewoods. Of course give it a couple of days and most will be on ebay via the bulk buyers for £100 or so. Or there's always argos.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see that the price of the Hornby Pendolino train set has been increased back up to £170.00 now, and the remaining stock of the Norfolk Man limited edition train pack is now back up to £120.00!

If you hadn't already ordered one - you've missed your chance!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Someone previously said that he had heard that sometimes the contents as illustrated might be different to what you actually receive.

I am pleased to report that this was actually true in the case of the Pendolino from Littlewoods.

I took the chance and ordered one on Friday using discount codes provided on one of the other forums. The price I paid was £78.50.

The train set arrived this morning, and instead of receiving the DC set with DC controller and DCC Ready as illustrated, I received the full blown Digital DCC Fitted set complete with the Select controller.

Quite a bargain. Another surprise was that it worked with my Prodigy Advanced 2 controller.

I must say a big thanks for the info. received on this forum, as I was also able to get all three of the other sets.

I hope there are not any more 'Bargains' in the too near future.

Alan

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
My Highlander arrived today, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the coaches are indeed the new LMS period 3 stock.

Great value for less than £60!

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would like to endorse Alanb's sentiment and thank those on the firum who alerted me to the Norfolkman bargain. I managed to purchase the Norfolkman set from Littlewoods for 65 pounds, care of the "promotion code", and it was duly delivered to my mother-in-law's home in the UK yesterday. My plan is to renumber the loco to my favourite Brittania, Sir Christopher Wren, which I would see passing through Stratford station as a lad in the east end.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

I thought I was being smart and went ahead and paid with visa even as they said they only deliver in the uk. I assumed all was ok as my visa had money taken out but alas not so.... I have had my money refunded and a polite email telling me for uk only. If only I hadnt pointed out the vat I might have got away with it!

Should have had it delivered to my sister in the uk.

Morale of the story: Dont look a gift horse in the mouth... if its a bargain dont try and get more off.

m

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Folks,

I picked a 'Belle' from Argos, Ran it for 4 ft and the connecting rod fell off and bent. Brought it back and got another one. No Quibbles either, luckily the had another one.

I also ordered the 'Highlander Set' and inside the box was a rebuilt Merchant Navy with 3 MK.1 Coaches, Named the 'Royal Wessex', product code R2599M, so I would advise to check the contents in the box before you leave the shop as you cant actually see inside the box without opening them.

Cheers

George.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The prices of all 3 trainspacks and the Pendolino have gone back up to £120 and £170 respectively -- and are all showing Out of Stock

I wonder what price they will be when they are back in stock -- if they get more in that is

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 12 Feb 2008, 10:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.... If only I hadnt pointed out the vat I might have got away with it!

Made me
. Commiserations - but as other FMs predicted they are popping up on eBay as we speak!

I've been a fan of these limited edition Hornby train packs for a number of years, though strictly speaking my layout only accommodates the GC and MR around the late '50s. I can't resist the darned things, especially when they appear either through the catalogue internet sites, Rails/Hattons and eBay at knockdown prices, after the premium selling period late summer to early December when presumably (bizarrely
) they are aimed at the young/toy sector of the market. My favourite, up to this year was the official Northumbrian, a loco-driven A4 pulling three very nice Gresley coaches in blood and custard.

I thought they were in a decline - Hornby haven't put out an official catalogue pack since the Devon Belle/Talisman a couple of years ago, and too many of the recent specials [always suffixed M, thus this year's are R2559M (Royal H). R2660M (Norf), R2661M (BB)] have been County or Castle with chocolate Mk1s nothing to get too excited about.

This year has definitely produced a rich bounty, with latest model Brit, Stanier coaches and Pullmans in the various packs. Here's hoping for a King Arthur or modified WC/BB with a rake of Maunsells, or for my extremely cosmopolitan layout, a Devonian or a Waverley towed by a Scot!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.