Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Hornby Brush type 3 in BR green and boy was it an eye opener
. It would have to be the quietest running diesel I've never heard apart from steel wheels on nickel silver rail. Lovely detailed cab but no crew, guess they went for a cuppa
. Nice driven fan, cute but is it neccasary as I don't realy see it. Nicely detailed trucks, especially the speedo drive. Opening cab doors are a nice touch. The best bag of detail parts of any model but the crew are missing, must have went on strike
and the best feature apart from the nice PCB board which is reminiscent of the one fitted to the Trainorama 44class, NSWGR Alco diesel, except it's missing the speakers that are fitted to the 44class. I'd hasten a guess and say that they must be made in the same or next door factory, is the lights
What a supprise as there's nothing on the box and nothing in the instructions about lights and I didn't even notice them when I was fitting the decoder. After I had programmed it on Decoder Pro I happened to thumb the light button on my System One throttle and there they were white lights going forward with red lights at the rear and vice versa. Yes it's quite a model and it does bring back memories as it was the second loco I ever got when I was just a wee lad but it was Triang back then. Now if they make a Blue Pullman I'll then have the third loco I ever had when I was just a wee lad.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ozzie,

Your reference to the Brush type 3 diesel had us scratching our heads last night at the club. Nobody could remember a Brush type 3 coming on the scene. [You will have to make allowances for the fact that most of us lost interest in BR when the blue diesels took over]. So we wonder if you meant to refer to the Brush type 2 class, which later became Class 31 and were numbered in the D5500 series. Hornby do make one of those.

Steam running with the odd black, and even a few pioneer green, diesels on our layout is OK, but blue diesels........oh dear...a prospect not to be considered. On second thoughts, we might allow just one particular blue diesel, I suppose.

Colombo

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hornby don't do a 37 with working fan so it must be the 31 which is a good model and theres nowt wrong with blue diesels an inspired choice of corporate livery !

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh?? must have had a brain f**t or I hit the wrong key but it is a type 2. I too lost interest in diesels when corporate blue took over and the face of the UK changed for ever and I think that's when we left and came here. Just missed the last active steam loco here in NSW, AD 60 class garrett 6042 in service by a couple of months but still managed to see active steam, South Maitland Railways 10 class 2-8-2T's in service up till 1984. The bulk of my fleet is steam, British, some American and NSW steam but a few greeen diesels and few other odd ones have crept in but for the most part steam is King.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Colombo @ 23 Aug 2006, 19:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie,

Your reference to the Brush type 3 diesel had us scratching our heads last night at the club. Nobody could remember a Brush type 3 coming on the scene. [You will have to make allowances for the fact that most of us lost interest in BR when the blue diesels took over]. So we wonder if you meant to refer to the Brush type 2 class, which later became Class 31 and were numbered in the D5500 series. Hornby do make one of those.

Steam running with the odd black, and even a few pioneer green, diesels on our layout is OK, but blue diesels........oh dear...a prospect not to be considered. On second thoughts, we might allow just one particular blue diesel, I suppose.

Colombo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ozzie,

You are lucky to have missed the drab matt blue-grey livery that befell all of BR rolling stock after you left. It was at this time that I set about getting qualified and earning a living. In fact not being interested in blue boxes was a benefit really. I did get several tours of Doncaster Plant on business though. That was when they were maintaining the Deltics. I also saw Derby Locoworks when it was full of 45s and 20s.

Its a pity you missed the Beyer Garratt. We have some South African NG16 Garratts working on the new Welsh Highland Railway now and they are a fine sight to behold.

Colombo

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 23 Aug 2006, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby don't do a 37 with working fan so it must be the 31 which is a good model and theres nowt wrong with blue diesels an inspired choice of corporate livery !

Wasn't the 37 produced by English Electric? We have one of their fridges at work!

Laurie

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 19 Aug 2006, 14:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lovely detailed cab but no crew, guess they went for a cuppa

Opening cab doors are a nice touch. The best bag of detail parts of any model but the crew are missing, must have went on strike
Ozzie21The opening door is to blame. The drivers done a "runner"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts