Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I suppose it depends what part of the modelling spectrum one's from. I have one on back order and am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
The original was something special. This ones just produced for collectors who did'nt acquire one in the 2nd hand market . Poor pick-ups and poor pulling power should mean this model is made for the display case. COM = Christmas opportunist model - Could do better Hornby.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The original had magnadhesion......

perhaps it might have looked more impressive with some 4 or 6 wheel period coaches?

then at least it would give the APPEARANCE of ''pulling more?''

[modify some Ratio products?]

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE The original was something special. This ones just produced for collectors who did'nt acquire one in the 2nd hand market . Poor pick-ups and poor pulling power should mean this model is made for the display case. COM = Christmas opportunist model - Could do better Hornby.

That's just a totally pathetic stupid statement. I expect better to be honest on a high quality forum such as this. The author is very capable of making good well judged comments but this is not one of them! Pat Hammond would not publsih such a stupid, ill considered, remark so why make it here? Pick ups are improved on earlier examples and this version is DCC ready. As far as pulling power goes how many buyers are going to run these with more than 2-3 coaches anyway? This model has not been offered for over 20 years and its great that Hornby are at last offering an updated version with superior pick up, motor and finish rather than forcing folk to buy overpriced secondhand examples for £150 or more. Admitately the secondhand examples are build in Britain and for some this has an appeal.

There are a whole raft of new models being introduced just before Xmas from all manufacturers. Please do not single out Hornby in this regard.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 1 Nov 2007, 10:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's just a totally pathetic stupid statement.

forcing folk to buy overpriced secondhand examples for £150 or more. Admitately the secondhand examples are build in Britain and for some this has an appeal.

Please do not single out Hornby in this regard.

Happy modelling
Gary

Pot calling kettle black !

When was the last time you saw anyone with a gun to his/her head at a swapmeet/Vectis ?

Took a while !

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
And the point is?

Its just a silly comment to make about a set that will give 2500 new owners a lot of joy and satisfaction. If its not a members cup of tea then thats all they need to say. If you were one of the 2500 new owners reading that remark how would you feel?

Probably that the authors of such remarks are plonkers! Silly remarks like that are a great way to turn people off forums.

I do not wish to be associated with such remarks thank you very much as remarks of this type do nothing for the hobby and to say nothing might suggest the remarks are condoned by the forum founders.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The point is Hornby were good enough to send us some information. I and like minded forum members respect this. Its a pity there is a very small minority who don't!

This is the request on Pat Hammond's site:-

QUOTE If you have suggestions for the model manufacturers to consider, or if there is anything else you would like to discuss within the British railway modelling and collecting subject base of this magazine, please send me an e-mail, giving your 'first' name and surname (no pseudonym please) to [email protected] Please try to keep your contribution short, positive, polite and definitely not libellous. Your contributions will be edited for readability and acceptability within the unbiased policy of the magazine. Care will be taken not to alter the views expressed but they remain those of the writer of the e-mail and are not necessarily shared by the Editor.

Remember! The manufacturers are our friends - not our enemies. They read this magazine and so when you comment on their products you are talking directly to them. Choose your words carefully as you would with a friend.

Is it not possible to apply these same sentiments here at Model Rail Forum? I don't believe for one minute that certain members would talk to Simon Kohler directly in the way that they communicate here.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 1 Nov 2007, 11:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't believe for one minute that certain members would talk to Simon Kohler directly in the way that they communicate here.
Happy modelling
Gary

If you believe that you also probably believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden (speaking for myself at least).

Also, if you are so keen on quoting where is your surname ?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
All I can say is if people do talk to Simon Kohler like that then IMHO they are either ignorant and bad mannered or frustrated and engage mouth before brain. Whilst in the presence of Hornby representatives I have yet to hear such comments from members of the public so are these type of silly remarks reserved solely for forums where members can hide behind anonimity?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi Gary: You said:

Is it not possible to apply these same sentiments here at Model Rail Forum? I don't believe for one minute that certain members would talk to Simon Kohler directly in the way that they communicate here.

*** Hmmmm

Actually I think most of the mature adults here would be more than happy to talk to SK directly without changing sentiments in any way at all, although words chosen would be in a different context, so would not be the same.

Its the nature of E-communication to be "conversational" but without the benefit of body language to qualify it words that would be taken in jest in the pub or face to face are often taken as attack rather than leg pulling. To a large degree - you too are a bit responsible as your responses often bite when simply letting the issues pass would be more sensible.

----------------------------

As to this "Pretend Caley loco and coaches": If it allows H to make a few more dollars to invest in tooling for my new long hoped for outside Frame 0-6-0 Kirtley Goods & tender - or a new 2p, compound or 4F then all power to them.

Personally I think its not worth battling over its merit or lack of it without keeping in context with the models intent - and if it has appeal to the occasional (to me) misguided collector or the trainset modeller then thats their choice, and I wish them well.

Can I criticise Hornby for it? No, not as a quirky collector/unusual trainset item... as its really just a curiosity and well enough painted - It will probably make many happy pulling a couple of coaches round 15" radii on a tabletop layout.

However as a 4mm scale model.... Do I have an opinion??? YES... Its an appalling wildly inaccurate looking toy with little merit other than a better paint job than the originals...

but do I care - not really, as long as it doesn't distract from the drive for better scale models and adds to the war chest Hornby can invest in real models.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wow this model has ruffeled a few feathers, my thoughts on this model for what there worth are, briliant, its a 60/70 model, reproduced using the same or similar moulds, and to my eye it looks like the one i remeber from that era, i only wish i had an origional, but i hav,nt so i will be getting one of the new ones, which is probrably better than the origionals, and just think, if hornby are brave enough to reproduce this item, maybe all the modellers who want the blue pullman may get a repo of that too.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Richard said:-

QUOTE Personally I think its not worth battling over its merit or lack of it without keeping in context with the models intent - and if it has appeal to the occasional (to me) misguided collector or the trainset modeller then thats their choice, and I wish them well.

I am in the train set/collector group. Why should I and others who are in the same group as me have to put up what is said by those who do not understand the mind set of this group?

It is a much bigger group than the impression given by Richard above.

Maybe there should be an alternative forum for the train set/collector group as it seems that we are not given any respect by those who model from scratch?

Conversely we (the train set/collector group) do broadly respect those who do which does make the situation all the more unpalatable!

The fact is using set track and off the shelf scenic items and rolling stock (and dare I say it Hornby DCC which has been designed with our group in mind) it is possible to construct a very acceptable model railway in very little time!

And on this train set layout it is possible to enjoy operating a selection of a collection of locos and rolling stock from various periods. Not prototypical maybe but fun.

And many among our group are very likely to operate the Hornby Caledonian Train Pack at the same time as the NRM prototype Deltic!

This would of course have the "railway modeller" types pulling their hair out in dispair!

Long may Hornby continue to produce models of this type!

Happy modelling (of whatever persusion)
Gary

·
Registered
312 Posts
Help I appear to have a dual personality,

I like this and scale modelling! I have the LMS version of this set with the clerestory coaches produced in the 80's, yes it can't pull more than two coaches on n/s track UNLESS you put something like a bullant motor bogie in the tender or a coach!! I have 6 coaches and am tempted by this set purely because I like the loco. It would be nice to have a modern version with finer detail but it won't sell enough, imagine a Stirling single too . . . .
Thankyou Hornby from a scale modeller with collecting tendencies!!

This is my trainset where I collect Swiss models!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE However as a 4mm scale model.... Do I have an opinion??? YES... Its an appalling wildly inaccurate looking toy with little merit other than a better paint job than the originals

This is my view too. I am very interested in the Caledonian Railway and would love to have "decent" model of the rolling stock but all this model is is a better paint job on a very poor, by todays standard, model. You can paint a turd any colour you like but it's still a turd. Had this been an accurate scale model I would not have cancelled my order. Its running qualities are dubious and if I am going to buy a model for display then I want it to be accurately detailed, this isn't.

I would agree completely with MMaD's assessment.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
whilst the caley single patently isn't in the Royal Scot class.....either today, or relatively-speaking, all those years ago [yep I had one....because I LIKED it...and it was a ''bold step'' in those heady, Tri-ang days].....it does open the question asked elsewhere, concerning the 'viability', or 'desirability' of 'oddball' models?

I say ''oddball' in a nice way.....because with the advent of the blue Deltic [and yes, I'd like one, but not too sure of justifying the price], by Bachmann, does open the way for the idea of something like, ''City of Truro?''

now, 'Truro', I admit, could be also sold in other guises, since it was just one of a class....but even so????

maybe, if 'Truro' were produced, what price Hornby's reply?

Perhaps they too, should endeavour to enter the limited-run, sponsored market?

Or do a deal with Glasgow Museum?

because, what WOULD the Caley single need, to improve, create a more acceptable, scale model, in line with TODAYS expectations?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts