Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hornby are releasing an item this year which contains a Caledonian Railways Locomotive plus three coaches. I have spent ages trawling through various websites to see if I can find out any information on specifically what loco and coaches these will be. I haven't had an joy finding out anything and the Hornby website is noticeably uninformative on this too. All I can find out is that it is a Caledonian Single and Caledonian Coaches which doesn't say a lot.

Does anyone know what loco and type of coaches will be in this train pack or it is it a case of wait and see?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The loco is the Caledonian Single 123. This is a one off loco that was used in the race to the north in 1880s. The loco is currently at the Glasgow Museum of Transport. The coaches will just be the same as the old tri-ang ones. These were based on the mk1s just with different sides. Two CR coaches survive at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway railway, not sure if these are based on these though. Hope this helps.

CR 123

Coach 484

Coach 1375

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Pictures of the original coaches from 1963 can be found on page 222 of Pat Hammond's "The story of Rovex Volume 2 1965-1971", published by New Cavendish Books in 1998. As Scotrail says, they were based on the Mk1 coaches but with different sides.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info guys. I'm interested in the Caley but there isn't much rtr out there. I have decided I may have to resort to kits but I will give this effort a go and see how it goes. I'll have to have a flick through my Bo'ness photos to see if I got any shots of those coaches.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Given that the Dean Single is challenged in haulage powers , I suspect the Caley 123 will be the same. Previous versions had magnadhesion which helped grip the steel rails . Modern version won't.

I wonder then if it wouldn't be better just to produce the Caley as a 2 coach pack and instead of the horrible bright red paint on the coaches (from triang days) actually have something approaching the correct livery. I am no expert on Caley coaches but from pictures of the real 123 and coaches which toured Scotland in the 60s I'd say the coaches should be a deep umber . The white should be a milky ,off- white. In this way you would have a representation of the real train rather than a representation of the model that appeared in the 60s.

Russell

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 6 Apr 2007, 04:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Given that the Dean Single is challenged in haulage powers , I suspect the Caley 123 will be the same. Previous versions had magnadhesion which helped grip the steel rails . Modern version won't.

I wonder then if it wouldn't be better just to produce the Caley as a 2 coach pack and instead of the horrible bright red paint on the coaches (from triang days) actually have something approaching the correct livery. I am no expert on Caley coaches but from pictures of the real 123 and coaches which toured Scotland in the 60s I'd say the coaches should be a deep umber . The white should be a milky ,off- white. In this way you would have a representation of the real train rather than a representation of the model that appeared in the 60s.

Russell
good point, I guess they are counting on few people actually knowing that!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
With the modern methods of paint finishing on Hornby models, I would think there is a high probability that the new versions of the coaches might be more accurately coloured. But if still based on the Mk1 chassis I wonder how accurate this is with respect to length and bogie type?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 5 Apr 2007, 19:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Given that the Dean Single is challenged in haulage powers , I suspect the Caley 123 will be the same. Previous versions had magnadhesion which helped grip the steel rails . Modern version won't.

Russell

Just a thought but the Caley single also ran down here in the 60's, one rail tour was to the Bluebell which ran as "The Blue Belle". A ready made excuse to run one if you model the Southern Region.

Regards

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 6 Apr 2007, 07:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With the modern methods of paint finishing on Hornby models, I would think there is a high probability that the new versions of the coaches might be more accurately coloured. But if still based on the Mk1 chassis I wonder how accurate this is with respect to length and bogie type?
Regards,
John Webb

This is almost certainly a 'retro' pack like the Lord of the Isles, which means that it will resemble the previous Caley pack as closely as possible, including incorrect liveries/detail (just like the coaches in the LOTI pack which neither match any GWR diagram, nor do they have the correct livery to match the loco).

Adrian

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm not sure the Caley 123 has been released as a pack before. Certainly in its last reincarnation it was sold singly in LMS livery. In 1973 it was also sold singly in blue although the Caley coaches were available too.

It just seems a lost opportunity. As I said before there is an opportunity to model an actual train or release a model of the previous model with all its innaccuracies

Russell

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an area that is missed by the big manufacturers and to make a model which is not an accurate representation in todays modelling climate is out of order. I'll probably still get it as it's all that is available RTR but like you say another opportunity missed.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 10 Apr 2007, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a thought but the Caley single also ran down here in the 60's, one rail tour was to the Bluebell which ran as "The Blue Belle". A ready made excuse to run one if you model the Southern Region.

Regards

John

Yes, that's right and I think my father has colour Cine film of it too.

Graham Plowman

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 11 Apr 2007, 03:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, that's right and I think my father has colour Cine film of it too.

Graham Plowman

Lucky man! - I managed to acquire some photos and tour info quite recently.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 28 Jun 2007, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone for a Princess Elizabeth with steam roller wheels ?

Why? Have ypo still got one?

Regards

John

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have one of the LMS liveried ones and yes it's basic but I like it anyway! Heavy moulded handrails & pipes on the boiler and it only pulls 3 of the six coaches I have for it on nickel silver track. The rear wheel also sticks sometimes due to the pickups on it and insufficient weight. I have been considering getting one of those austrailian motor bogies assembled to the correct spacing and putting it in the tender.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 28 Jun 2007, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe they ought to market this type of model as "nostalgia" range of something ?

That's actually a pretty good idea, they could bring back the old Transcontinental range, but with better paintwork, motors and wheels. I reckon if introduced as such the range would probably be a big seller - as long as the pricing was pitched right. Mind you if truth be told quite a lot of the railroad range qualifies as nostalgia, particularily the 31 and 37.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Jun 2007, 22:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's actually a pretty good idea, they could bring back the old Transcontinental range, but with better paintwork, motors and wheels. I reckon if introduced as such the range would probably be a big seller - as long as the pricing was pitched right. Mind you if truth be told quite a lot of the railroad range qualifies as nostalgia, particularily the 31 and 37.

Regards

John
Maybe this release should have been in the railroad range?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 28 Jun 2007, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe this release should have been in the railroad range?

Hi Neil,

Did you (or I) miss something?

Regards

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts