1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all . The other day while down the local Model shop [mainly Toy shop]
I purchased Two Hornby Railways cardboard platform kits [R509]. payed $7.95AUD
I was wondering if anybody Knows anything about these , as I haven't seen them
before. [maybe i'm just too young] Are they worth anything or do I get the model knife and glue out?
They are both in perfect condistion
Thanks all
DPK

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
According to Pat Hammond's Volume 3 of his history of Triang and Hornby railways, R509 was a 'Curved Picket type fence'. It is possible that what you have was a local production for Australia & New Zealand. (They quite often produced items locally which the UK had stopped making or which were specific to their area.)
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (DPK @ 11 Aug 2006, 13:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all . The other day while down the local Model shop [mainly Toy shop]
I purchased Two Hornby Railways cardboard platform kits [R509]. payed $7.95AUD
I was wondering if anybody Knows anything about these , as I haven't seen them
before. [maybe i'm just too young] Are they worth anything or do I get the model knife and glue out?
They are both in perfect condistion
Thanks all
DPK
What city did you buy them in? Was it Melbourne and if so what shop? I wouldn't mind a look at them when I'm back.
Hornby did do a limited amount of Australia specific product at one time. I have seen a couple of items on Ebay.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Diversifying just a little rarely seen on Ebay is the very old Hornby Terminus, what a lovely building that is when it's found in good condition. I like to buy the odd rare trinket. I bought a mint news agents stand by Wardie on Ebay last week, boxed it's in mint condition considering it was produced in the early 50's. There something about elderly but good conditioned Toys - ah they need to be horded/collected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi , Not shaw how to add photos, but the label has hornby railways in top left corner,cardboard kits
on the top right and platform ,R509 OO gauge scale models bottom right. With a picture of a
platform bottom left with the name Hadleigh as the station name.
On the back it has Printed in England,Hornby hobbies limited,Westwood margate kent CT? 4JX.

The kits were Purchest on Norfolk Island South pacific.
I hope this helps a bit more will try to work out how to add photos.
Thanks for the help
DPK

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
There are instructions on how to add photos in the "About this bulletin board" Forum. I think this link will take you straight there.

Basically you upload your photo to some publicly accesible location, grab the URL and paste it into your reply using the "insert image" icon in the tool bar in the "add comment" box.

David

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi DPK,

The R509 platform kit was produced along with a Station building and goods shed by Hornby to go in their train set track extension packs from about 1975 (I think) onwards. All three kits were produced to a matching style, and the range lasted into the mid-1990s both in these packs and as separate items. They ceased to be available in track packs from 1997 onwards when the current range of ""Track Packs" (A-E) were introduced. The goods shed and station building were discontinued immediately, but the platform (R509!) lingered on for a couple of years. Hattons of Liverpool listed R509 on their internet site until about 2003.

They are probably still available (not as current items) in odd retailers. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones on Norfolk Island were acquired at a later date (i.e. post-1997) from an Australian wholesaler.

CIG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts