Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rails Have the 2008 Hornby Catolgue on the website for £8

Is it me or is it getting rather expensive to buy now days. That's without P&P or you can pop down to your local model shop and pick it up.

£8 is a lot considering you get the Bachmann one as part of your collectors club membership for £18. The Hornby membership is now £35 I believe but includes the Loco. Considering the difference oin price between the Loco and Wagon Bachmann seem to offer the better value.

Is £8 pushing it over the limit for casual buys?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I think last year I paid £5.00 - possibly a typo?

Regards

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I think the RRP was £8 last year too. Wait around for a bit and you can normally save £2-£3 if your not that bothered about getting it in January.

Rob

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
With nothing new of LMS / LNER steam interest, you couldn't pay me to take one

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
Darobi the Hornby Club Membership is £23 UK. I still think the Bachmann club is miles better value. However if like me you like to browse through the catalogue then you pays your money!!! which is £8 in my local shop. I collect catalogues so I would always buy it anyway.For a catalogue from which you are going to buy it's expensive, for a full colour book on good quality paper full of railway related pictures it's cheap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Got mine for £8. Its a bit expensive but its an enjoyable read. Part of me says that a catalogue shouuld be free, but this is no ordinary catalogue.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I totally agree that catalogues should be free... I swear, it's the most twisted thing - now we're paying to be advertised

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (darobi @ 15 Jan 2008, 16:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it me or is it getting rather expensive to buy now days.

No, it's not you, & £8 is a lot to pay.

Incidently, Roco now give their excellent quality catalogues away.

Personally, I feel that the cost of catalogues should be refundable againgst purchases.

Another way would be to have the entire catalogue on line in printable format.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 16 Jan 2008, 07:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No, it's not you, & £8 is a lot to pay.

Incidently, Roco now give their excellent quality catalogues away.

Personally, I feel that the cost of catalogues should be refundable againgst purchases.

Another way would be to have the entire catalogue on line in printable format.
That's right, I just got the Roco catalogue sent from Orient Express models in Adelaide for free and it's a pretty heft catalogue. They did not charge me for postage. This is the way it should be. As Kimbo said the catalogue is advertising, why should we be paying for ad's?

I get the Trix and Bachmann ones free through club memberships so I don't have to buy those either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just think for a toy catalogue it's getting very expensive. I can't think of any thing in other toy areas that comes close for this sort of price. I really do think it's time for Hornby to pop in a voucher even if it's only for £5.

It would be interesting to see sell through numbers for it compared to previous years.

I feel it's getting to the point of no return price where people won't pay that sort of money no matter how many pages and photo's. It's the same price now as a Wagon, which usually lasts longer and is probably a better buy.

darren

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why can't we just have it on CD will the ability to print out product details if we wish to? £8 for the catalouge is expensive whereas they could charge us a fraction of that for a CD which contains all the products on and in theory could be updated throughout the year with any 'extra' releases that won't be in the catalouge.

Still, I'll be getting the catalouge at some point when i find one for sale.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
At the end of the day though, you can't beat a browse through a paper catalogue. Still more enjoyable that scrolling through endless screens & easier to show things to the domestic authority.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's true... but the Walthers Catalogue which is like the mother of all model railway catalogues is only 9.95 USD. Somehow I don't think Hornby's catalogue is so extraordinary as to explain the price hikes.

And if each manufacturer starts charging equivalent amounts, we'll be soon have to set aside the amount of a train loc just to make sure we're up to date catalogue wise... rather ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I agree that compared to Walthers its not good value at all. But i'll still buy it.....

Also, I think this is the third year in a row its cost £8.

Rob

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I prefer to have a printed catalogue - you don't have to have the computer on (or be where the computer is) to look things up.

Re price: in 2004 and 2005 it was £6, 2006 it was £7.50, 2007 it was £7 - according to my records.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 16 Jan 2008, 13:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Re price: in 2004 and 2005 it was £6, 2006 it was £7.50, 2007 it was £7 - according to my records.

Regards,
John Webb

Oopse, have just checked my old price lists and you are of course correct!

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts