Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (southern steam @ 9 Jan 2006, 16:48)be careful of the new class 08 dieselsa, they apprear to be faulty from numerous rep[orts that i have heard
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's a bit of a swathing statement to say "be careful of the 08". I've seen a couple and they have all been fine. This is the one I have and it looks great and runs like a gem: Hornby Class 08 Review.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Doug, we've had a couple with "dry" gear boxes that have needed lubrication!

Otherwise, a very fine model.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Would this cause an irritating squeak when running the loco? cos thats what mine does. other than that no problems but i've hardly used it yet if truth be known. Perhaps with the benefit of that bit on knowledge i'll give it a good lube when i fit a decoder to it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
There are numerous complaints over on rmweb and I think MREmag about Class 08s the develop a squeel. Apparently this is caused by faulty lubrication. I know of one case where the replacement model was taken back as it too was faulty. The guy eventually picked something else!

So there does seem to be something wrong with at least 1 batch of 08s. I think there is now a second run in the country where the green 08 has a D number. Can anyone confirm this is correct, and if so is this fault free?

I quite fancy one - but only if it runs well!

Russell

·
Registered
521 Posts
Perhaps, strictly speaking, it shouldn't be necessary for a model fresh out of its box, but I have developed the habit of checking out lubrication every time a new vehicle of any sort lands up in my hands. It's got to be done eventually, so I feel I might as well check it out and make sure all is well, right from day one.
Prevention is better than cure and it costs absolutely nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The squeak in the 08s is definitely gearbox related (unless we have a 4mm scale mouse problem) and can be easily rectified with lubrication.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
We have to bear in mind that Hornby have, by now, manufactured many thousands of these models if not tens of thousands. There are a large number of very good reports about the Class 08 on the web.

If a member has an issue with the running of a model purchased then the best advice is to go back to the retailer. They normally have the experience based on the sales that they make to appreciate immediately if there is an issue. More often than not they can resolve the issue there and then.

There is clear evidence in this thread that this is the best policy.

Hornby, like any manufacturer, do genuinely want their models to run well straight out of the box. Hornby do actually say that overlubrication can damage a model so please bear this in mind.

Its interesting to learn of issues as we might be able to help here so please don't feel that you can't talk about things. Just remember to offer the advice given here to friends elsewhere.

Better still, invite your friends to have a look at the advice given here!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
I might go on the hornby site and see what their official line is on this. Apart from the usual "send it into us and we'll check it out for you" which seems to be their official line on everything fault related.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got the 09 and its been a superb loco. Its had one or 2 minor drops when in the box, but nothings fallen off and it still works perfectly fine so its a big thumbs up from me.

It was such a nice loco that i'm not sure wether to get a Freightliner or Cotswold or EWS one to go with it? Might get one of each livery actually ... If i can afford it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
apparently hornby's latest approach to queries posted through their own forum pages is to not actually print them as it might harm sales. Another reason i don't bother posting on there much any more.
Perhaps a more direct email to their aftersales department might work better I need to contact them about where to send a PCB from my class 50 to for exchange anyway.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There we go email sent. I will of course let you know if hornby have anything to say about this issue.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've just had a reply from hornby customer care and they say to ring their helpline and someone will talk me through the procedure for lubricating the gearbox as in their words it's intricate. Sounds worrying to me. I might give them a bell tomorrow if i get time(busy laying a laminate floor this week).

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had an annoying squeak being generated on a Bachmann c158. The squeak was eventually traced to the phosphor bronze power pickup strip, rubbing too hard against the back of the trailer coach bogy wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts