Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Has anybody fitted a decoder to a Hornby Class 121?

I have just fitted a Bachmann 3 Function decoder and an express models lighting unit.

I'm very disappointed in the slow running performance it is terrible, I have never known a model perform so badly its stutery blurty not very good at all has anyone else had this problem ?
I thought that Hornby was going to improve the old Lima models?
I have a 10 year old Lima class 121 which was second hand when I got it I have fitted a decoder to that and it runs like a dream.

Any on got any ideas that I could do to improve the Hornby model?

Pete

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 17 Jun 2007, 17:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys

I have just fitted a Bachmann 3 Function decoder and an express models lighting unit.

I'm very disappointed in the slow running performance it is terrible, I have never known a model perform so badly its stutery blurty not very good at all has anyone else had this problem ?
I have a 10 year old Lima class 121 which was second hand when I got it I have fitted a decoder to that and it runs like a dream.

Pete
Question:-

Is the decoder you fitted to the Lima the same brand as that as the Hornby? Also have you still got the capacitor fitted?

I am just wondering, as my 121 has a TCS MC2 decoder and is running like a dream.

I have a Bachmann Decoder fitted Jinty which has a mind of its' own. If it hasn't been put on the Roster it will start off of its' own accord. However, I have a Class 20 Sound Fitted loco which is a dream (ESU fitted gear as opposed to Bachmann/Lenz basic decoder on the Jinty).

Regards,

Hugh

·
Registered
461 Posts
yes it is the same type of decoder.

It is giving the same problems as some of the Hornby Penderlino owners have described.

I'm not sure but looking at the pictures that have been posted by this forum and Hornby I think the same power unit is used in both?

Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 17 Jun 2007, 17:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys

Pete
Hi Pete
Have you run the 121 in before fitting chip? main was jurky before a couplke of hours on the rolling road, Have fitted a Lenz silver and am getting good running
Mike

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE If it hasn't been put on the Roster it will start off of its' own accord
From what I learned at the DCC weekend at Peco, this might be the explanation for the behaviour you are seeing:-

1) If a decoder has been set for dual analogue / DCC control, there is a chance that it will mistake the DCC signal for analog and take off.
2) When a loco is in the roster (or stack), the command unit is always sending it commands even if the loco is doing nothing. So even if your loco decided to take off, the run at speed step 0 (ie do nothing) command will come along and stop it in its tracks.

If I have understood these two explanations correctly, you might find that programming the errant loco to be DCC only will eliminate its tendency to roam at will

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 18 Jun 2007, 05:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From what I learned at the DCC weekend at Peco, this might be the explanation for the behaviour you are seeing:-

1) If a decoder has been set for dual analogue / DCC control, there is a chance that it will mistake the DCC signal for analog and take off.
2) When a loco is in the roster (or stack), the command unit is always sending it commands even if the loco is doing nothing. So even if your loco decided to take off, the run at speed step 0 (ie do nothing) command will come along and stop it in its tracks.

If I have understood these two explanations correctly, you might find that programming the errant loco to be DCC only will eliminate its tendency to roam at will

David
This would explain why the Pendolino would suddenly bolt off at high speed unprompted.

The stuttery performance may be poor power supply related. This was one of the factors affecting the pendolino's abysmal performance. Might be worth having a look at how the power is getting to the motor from the track and seeing if you can improve the power supply through the pick ups.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it gives off exactly the same simtomes I will have a look at the pick ups and let you know if I have any luck ?

May be able to help each other out Neil

Pete

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 18 Jun 2007, 02:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might be worth having a look at how the power is getting to the motor from the track and seeing if you can improve the power supply through the pick ups.

I can only echo Neil's comments about pick up - most of the cases we find where performance is "stuttery" on DCC nearly always come down to pickups/dirty wheels/track. irrespective of what DCC system/decoder combination used.

One advantage of having locomotives/units with lights - if the lights flicker then it's generally a pickup type problem, if they are steady then the problem is motor and/or decoder related.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well thats what I'm seeing the lights when on are fine when its on the track or rolling road its stuttery and unpredictable which makes me think its the motor.

But I will try the pick ups and I may try a set of Ultrascale wheels which are of a greater quality then the Hornby ones.

All so the back to backs are very tight as on most Hornby models.

Pete

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Guys I have sorted my slow running problem it turns out to have been the motor It seams that the motor had been contaminated by lubricant from the factory which had found its way onto the brushes.

I have now fitted a Mashima 14 X 24 flat can 5 pole motor and it works a treat now it actually performs so much better now its more responsive.
The motor was purchased from BranchLines e-mail [email protected] for £10.95 + postage and packing.

Neil if you do want to keep your Pendalino and you don't mind doing it I would recommend you changing the motor in yours I'm sure that you will be pleased with the results.

Pete

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 24 Jun 2007, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well Guys I have sorted my slow running problem it turns out to have been the motor It seams that the motor had been contaminated by lubricant from the factory which had found its way onto the brushes.

I have now fitted a Mashima 14 X 24 flat can 5 pole motor and it works a treat now it actually performs so much better now its more responsive.
The motor was purchased from BranchLines e-mail [email protected] for £10.95 + postage and packing.

Neil if you do want to keep your Pendalino and you don't mind doing it I would recommend you changing the motor in yours I'm sure that you will be pleased with the results.
Pete
Sounds like a good idea. If it is succesful, which it sounds it will be, then I may do the same with my GNER 225

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Off topic a bit I know but would that be a Trix Croc in your current pic ?
I'm curious about the Croc too.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Jul 2007, 17:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil,

Off topic a bit I know but would that be a Trix Croc in your current pic ?
Yes it's the Trix Croc, and very nice it is too. Very easy to install a decoder in and can collect power via pantographs if required.

I have put some pictures in the gallery here for you to have a better look. It really is a cracker of a model.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I have put some pictures in the gallery here for you to have a better look. It really is a cracker of a model.
Very nice. Thank you for posting them

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Nice pics Neil & thanks for posting them.

It's a shame I can't get away with running the beast on St.Laurent (well, not in public anyway). It may be a tad "geary" but it really does look good & performs to match.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts