Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have recentley bought a Hornby 56 in Railfreight grey red stripe livery. I think it is a fantastic model. Excellent detail and crisp livery. Well impressed with the moulded roof detail. Nice and weighty too. As long as your not a 'rivet counter' then you won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (paul_d @ 1 Dec 2005, 15:31)I have recentley bought a Hornby 56 in Railfreight grey red stripe livery. I think it is a fantastic model. Excellent detail and crisp livery. Well impressed with the moulded roof detail. Nice and weighty too.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since writing that piece, I finally got round to running it on the track. Safe to say, that's where my praise for this particular 56 ends!

There are a number of issues with the motor and drivetrain, probably not faults, just annoyances. They are all probably linked as well.

First, the motor/drivetrain sound horrible (like one of them wind up toys).

Second, it has no slow speed capability at all. At low voltage the motor just buzzes and 'sticks'. When it finally does overcome friction and 'sticktion' (is that what it's called?), it sets off like a bolted horse. You can then slow it down, but it 'stalls' well before acceptable slow speed running.

Third, not really a problem but it seems to be very highly geared for a freight loco. It is incredibly fast - is there any need?

I have run it for 1/2 an hour with no difference. I have put some oil on the gears as per instructions - no difference. When turning the output gear off the motor shaft, you can feel what a 'lumpy' motor it is. The other gears seem quite free.

So being a novice in this hobby could someone answer me the following questions:

1) Should I expect to see improvement after 1/2 hrs running in? Whats the recommended running in time?

2) Do you think it might be the old Dapol 3 pole motor? (the rest is Dapol)

3) Technically it isn't faulty because it runs, so I would assume Hornby wouldn't be prepared to have a look at it?

4) Is there anything I can do to improve it (short of replacing motor), or should I just accept that this loco is a bit of a 'duffer' and just lump it?

It's a shame about it's running quality as it's a nice looking loco. But when compared to my Hornby 47, it really is a dog. The 47 is so smooth and crawls along sleeper by sleeper (straight from the box with no running in)

Any comments appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 17 Dec 2005, 09:36)The fact is the Hornby set controller is hopeless but it does its job which is to get people started.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys, interesting thoughts. Yes I'll admit I am using the basic Hornby set controller. Yes again to the fact that I am just really starting out in this hobby therefore I am 'starting at the bottom' regarding equipement. As I gradually build up knowledge and experience, I will replace as neccessary (this forum is a fantastic way of getting advice).

Slow running capability is more important to me than blasting an HST at high speed round the track, so upgrading the controller seems a valid thing to do 1st. As you say Gary, the expense is quite minimal really, as opposed to DCC (which is in the far distant future).

When I said the motor was 'lumpy', yes it was the magnetic resistance I was feeling, but it just feels so strong between segments, for such a small motor.

Good point Rail-Rider, about the comparison with the 47. Yes it is excellent, so is my 58 (but that has a 7 pole motor), and the new hornby 08 (which we all know is stunning). They all perform excellent with this basic Hornby controller, so I agree that the controller is probably not at fault. But I suppose Gary's suggestion of a better controller might 'improve' the 56, and an improvement in these other loco's as well, can only be a good thing.

Still think my 56 might be just one those unlucky loco's. A bit of lemon, assembled using components right on their tolerance limit, producing a tolerance stack which results in a mechanism that works, but not that well.

The postman has just knocked on my door with my new Bachmann 66 in DRS Malcolm Logistics livery. I think the 56 will take a back step for the time being while I drool over this new model.

I will definately upgrade the controller though and see how it goes.

Thanks guys

Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (DS239 @ 17 Dec 2005, 20:14)Blimey!-7-pole,eh!,have you re-motored it?

The standard Hornby one is fitted with their basic 3-pole disposable job (part M1799)-so a conversion would be interesting.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry I meant to say the 'Type 7' M motor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gary, thought I'd try my luck with H M Duette controller off eBay. So much for £25....the one I tried to get went for £41 with postage on top
There's another one for sale, so shall keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.