Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I came across this thread after doing a search as I am finally getting around to removing locos from boxes to fit decoders.

My EWS Stora Class 56 is experiencing the same issues mentioned here - I have tried 2x Hornby R8249 decoders and there is no difference - with a Bachmann Dynamis on 1 bar then 3 bars then 5 bars the effect is identical - it grinds, moves about 5mm, the fans rotate and stops for 2 secs then repeats and repeats.

Have there been documeted issues with the Hornby Class 6 since release in 2008 as I dont think this is a running in/decoder issue.

All comments appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Many Thanks 34c for the comments and fast response - it is indeed the later issue. The loco has indeed sat in its box since purchase on 26 SEP 2008 and I did wonder if the fan assy / band wouldnt be helping matters. I will remove, clean up, see what happens and report back.

I only have a 1m test track at present so am a little limited in running in - I am considering getting one of the rolling roads as have quite a few to do and would be an investment methinks

Thanks for all yr comments

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Ok. I will create an oval from some spare sectional track - my main layout is built elsewhere and I dont have regular access to it

Update on the 56 - I released the belt but no diff. I then fitted one of the R8249 decoders into the Colas Class 66 and all works fine so I know its not the decoder.

Refitted into the 56 and no diff - grinds for 2 secs and moves forward, stops for 2 secs etc etc So out of interest I rotated the decoder in the socket so the No1 pin is diagonally opp where it should be and it does exactly the same movement. So my suspicion is there is a wiring/pcb error in the pcb

The movement is extremely regulated ie its not like its sticking - its like on/off but delayed

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
**Update** I removed the screws holding the fan assy down and gained access to the flywheel on that side and push it around a few times - it definitely had some tight spots so kept on doing it. Placed it back on the track and ta-da - ran properly albeit with a couple of surges. Service sheet located as well on Hornby website

Thanks 34C- yr initial prognosis was spot-on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.