Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I see that Hornby have released the service sheet for the Class 59, the motor sits in the bogie and there is a lump of metal in the tank area, also there arn't any lights. It's a similar drive mech to the class 121. Any thoughts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, aside from the new bogie and wheels Hornby have clearly said it's not economical to do much more to existing tooling. It's easier for them to start from scratch otherwise but that's a process that would take many, many years. This way they get a return on their investment. I am looking forward to a couple of them soon (i hope!).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a Class 121 a couple of weeks ago. the new motor bogie is certainly very smooth, and does appear to be a 5 pole skew wound unit.
However, it is very easy to wheel spin the unit, and it does not appear to have much grip/traction. It's fine for the bubble car, but I was concerned about it appearing in other ex-Lima locos, the 3 car 101 springs to mind.

It may be that the this is down to a lack of weight in the Class 121, whereas looking at the diagram for the Class 59, there appears to be two fairly substantial weights. It also appears as though all 3 axles may be driven on the Class 59.

Pity they couldn't fit a couple of LEDs for headlights though. On the Class 67 the white LEDs are quite effective, even though there are no taillights or light above the cab. Still toying with the idea of fitting an Express Models lighting kit, but I don't like the idea of drilling and cutting what is now a nicely finished model, so I may just leave the lights the way they are.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be putting lights into my class 67's and my class 59's when I get them. It is just a same that Hornby didn't even bother to fit headlights in the 59.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to put my little bit in but have Hornby said when the class 59 and 73
are comeing out as I have a place for a number of them as for the class 121
after running the class 67 which is a very fair loco the set up of the 121 seems
poor in that as has been said before it is very light nice glazing and body work but that
motor!!!!! but I dare say I should be happy Hornby have redone the Lima stock I hope the
same motor is not going to be in the 73 ?
BILLY

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hornby haven't said , but the Class 67 drawing appeared on the Hornby website about a month before the first model appeared. My local model shop has said it will be January before either the 59 or 73 are out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (william @ 9 Nov 2006, 19:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the set up of the 121 seems poor in that as has been said before it is very light nice glazing and body work but thatmotor!!!!! but I dare say I should be happy Hornby have redone the Lima stock I hope the same motor is not going to be in the 73 ?

I think that it's pretty obvious that the Class 73 will have the same drive unit as the Class 121,which has received widespread favourable comment so far,apart from yours,-what dont you like about it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts