Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I take the decals of the side of hornbys class 60's but leave the paint on it.

What is the best way of putting the transfers back on to the model.

This is the first loco that i am going to relivery an need quite a bit of help to do it.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

·
Registered
461 Posts
Alistair

1, firstly what colour is the plastic?

2, have you tried ceulouse thinners or meths on a cotton but or kitchen towle?

3, have you ever used a fiber glass rubbing pen ?

4, model strip the whole thing and respray?

just a few I can think off quickly.

Pete

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete

Its the new triple grey mainline version that i am going to make in to triple grey loadhaul 60064.

Not tried any thing on it yet as i wanted some advise first as it is an expensive model to mess up.

Don't really want to strip the whole thing as it will be going back in to the same livery.

Alistair

·
Registered
461 Posts
with it being the triple gray mask off around what you don't want then use some green scouring pad to genterly remove what you don't want if you do this carefully you should be able to use the grey as a primer colour which should work to help you.

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
White spirit on a cotton bud. This method works on *most* modern locos.. Heljan ones it'll remove it VERY quickly, Bachmann it'll come off with varying degrees of success and Hornby usually althouh a bit stubborn will ventually come off. HOWVER, ihave heard the MAINLINE logos on the new grey tug come off very easily..

John

http://stepaside.photos.gb.com

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John

will that leave the paint intact as i really do not want to repaint the loco as it is in correct livery.

Aliatir

·
Registered
6 Posts
It should do. just make sure it's white spirit! The beauty of using a cotton bud is that you can see if the body paint is wearing thin.. so you stop. Hornby, thankfully use quite thick bodywork paint so you should be ok. It will dull the finish slightly but nothing a bit of varnish won't cure.

hth,

John

http://stepaside.photos.gb.com

·
Registered
882 Posts
Also consider using a fibre glass pen
I've not tried that technique, but it comes recommended

When I had Lima Class 47s and Class 60s, I used to use a craft knife!
By gently applying the edge at the numbers they would slowly disappear

Another method I used, which worked on the Lima Class 47 in Parcel sector livery, was Humbrol glue
A quick wipe on, wipe off method

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just used tapwater on my 45xx.. Maybe a tiny bit of Lubricating oil will work too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts