Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just purchased this loco R2517 (which I think is a re-vamped Lima model), while it looks good, runs quietly with the new mechanism on plain track, I find that it bumps on ballasted Peco Code 75.
Yes, ballasting is done as per the many ways of doing it & I have had no problems with Hornby Grange or Praires , Bachmann steam or diesel or even the new Hornby/Lima GWR railcar but the new recruit is different. Having a closer look, the flanges, while they are not the older biscuit/cookie cutters, are not as fine as they could be. Ballasted Code 100 should give no problems.

Fortunately I only have about 16 yards of ballasted track now to go over with a fine pick
& will have to be extra carefull when carry on with the remaining 50+ yards.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this stage, not tested properly, I got it late yesterday ( at 9PM) got home at 10, unpacked it, put it on the track & found it bouncing. No work on it or further testing as I have been at a Model Rail Exhibition all today( Saturday) & do not see myself getting to fully testing it until Monday.

I will keep interested people acroos my rrsults.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulling power:-

On the flat, it pulls 4 Bachmann/Hornby Mk1 coaches OK & will also pull 13 goods vehicles weighted to 50gms/2oz each

but

on a gradient of between 1in 40 & 1 in 50, it justs gets up with 3 coaches
. Seven goods wagons also is the limit.

While the weight of the loco is reasonable, as it only drives on one bogie & no traction tyres, it does not pull as well as the Bachmann Class 20 which of course has all wheels powered..
Yes, perhaps I could return it but the goods service I will put it on , only has to take 4 up the gradient so this is OK.

Now only have to go over my ballasted track to clean it it up.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have added 50gms extra weight around & over the motor bogie, lubricated coach axles & it now takes 5 up the 1 in 63 gradient. My previous gradient figures were wrong.
Last night I saw the Pullman version pull 8 Pullman coaches on the flat & the owner had cleaned & lubricated coach wheels & added weight to the loco - before it would only drag 3 of them around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.