Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
What decoder have you used and what number are you trying to assign to the loco? The number 09 is possible but I don't think the select will allow either 73 or 109.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the new Dcc ready 73101 from hornby and 73107 aswell and i cant program either of them nor my bachmann 66

·
Registered
461 Posts
may I tentertivly sergest that you try to program both of thease locos on a different DCC system a different make it may be the system that you are using that may be the problem.

You should check the DCC section of the forum.

Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the only system i have its from the mixed goods digital set just adding the 73s and 66 seem tio be a problem the 08 and steamer work fine

·
Registered
461 Posts
the reason that they work is that they were programmed at the factory I have been told about someone that has had a similar thing happen but his sound bachmann 66 would not program on the select system but would program on a Engine Shed DCC System, I doubt if you will be able to reprogram the two engines that came with your system.

Pete

·
Registered
204 Posts
You could try running them on every available number (1 - 59 believe) just in case they have been delivered with some non standard number.
If that doesn't work, take them back to the shop.
A DC fitted loco should run on 3 out of the box unless documented to run on some other number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Could it be a Faulty DCC select controller as its a bit strange it be 3 Faulty locos

Ones not even hornby

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aargh, these 73s are just DCC ready and I take it you have not fitted a decoder?

DCC Ready: The loco has a socket but needs a decoder to be fitted in that socket before it will work on DCC.

DCC Fitted: The loco has been supplied with a decoder already fitted.

Try running these other locos as number 0, that is as analog locos. (I just checked, the Select does support this). You will only be able to run one of them at time in this manner and I would recommend not doing it for too long or leaving them stationary with the power on for long (the motor may overheat).

Your 08 and steam engine are DCC fitted. That is Hornby fitted a decoder in the factory.

When you mentioned the Bachmann 66 I was thinking of the latest sound version which of course does have a decoder fitted. All other 66s are merely DCC Ready --- you have to fit a decoder yourself or get the shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With the running of non decoder fitted locos on DCC as address '0' - when it states 'can only run one loco' this isn't strictly true. You can run more than one, but they operate as anything else would with the same 'address' - i.e. they will move together (as two or more locos would on a DC layout on the same track). If you have a double headed 73, you can run these both as address 0 together.

Although this isn't what is intended, I see no harm in running multiple locos with the same address? Is there another reason why you shouldn't do this?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Mark Thornton @ 14 Jan 2007, 21:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>DCC Ready: The loco has a socket but needs a decoder to be fitted in that socket before it will work on DCC.

When you think about it this statement "DCC Ready" (from the manufacturers) is misleading. You could purchase a "DCC Ready" locomotive, take it home, put it on your DCC layout & expect it to operate ! (not all DCC systems support one analogue loco & as Mark says, correctly it's not really advisable) & of, course untill to fit a decoder it will go nowhere.

This statement is going to cause more & more confusion as more "DCC Newbies" come into play, causing more damage to DCC.

It will only get rectified after someone takes action under the Sale of Goods Act via Trading Standards (& I have spoken to them regarding this) which will require a complaint from a member of the public & guess who the complaint will be taken up with - yes, the retailer !

Have a look over the water & you will see clearly labeled packaging.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't worry, you'll get use to it, here in the States we have the terms "DCC Ready" and "DCC Equipped"

DCC Ready = Locomotive will operate on DC and if desired, can operate on DCC if a decoder is installed.
Locomotive's motor is electrically isolated from the chassis and ready for DCC.

DCC Equipped = Locomotive has its decoder already installed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Which is more or less the same as DCC Ready & DCC ONboard that we have here in the good old UK.

If its not a problem in the US why should it be here or are we going to go litigation mad in Model railways as well!!!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I can only ask - have you taken the bodies off these locos as I suspect they have not got chips fitted. Removal of the bdy will confirm if a chip is present.

Regards

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts