Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

New images of the yet to be released Hornby Class A1/A3 locomotives show the stunning detail for the first time! The Flying Scotsman is shown from a new angle and is complete with National Railway Museum York headplate. Please note, these images show pre-production models, and small changes may be made to these models prior to production. These locomotives have definitely been worth the wait!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is interesting to observe that the Hornby service sheet for this model is now available on the Hornby website ahead of the release of this locomotive to the general public:-

Hornby service sheet Class A1/A3

If only other manufacturers would do the same.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
My first reaction was that these are fantastic looking locomotives. my second reaction was shock horror at seeing the steamroller flangeless pony wheels and my third was relief at seeing that it would seem buy the service sheet that there is an option enclosed with the model for flanged wheels.

i have a feeling that this is going to be an expensive few months. i cant wait!! make mine a scotsman!

Peter

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice allright, I'm in the queue for one each of Great Northern & Windsor Lad. I'd say it wont be long before an A3 in 1930's condition is released, one of the more notable like Felstead or Papyrus would be nice but then again I wouldn't mind seeing one of the silly names like Sandwich or Call Boy.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Having seen the initial models in the flesh I can only concur. They are superb!

The clever option of two wheel-sets for the Cartazzi truck gets round the issue of tight radii curves but I am sure that some additional side-play could be added to the flanged set.

A word of warning, though. Having chipped a few of these (and Hornby's A4s) I would advise extreme caution when dismantling the body. All that fine detail is very fragile - a foam support is almost mandatory! I have also found that Bachmann chips are sometimes a tight squeeze, Lenz or Gaugemaster might be a better choice for smaller locos.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yep, got mine on order, it should arrive over the weekend, unfortunately I will be away but it wiil be something to look forward to, I would have bought it locally but the only two dealers in town charge top dollar. It should be interesting to compare it to my old flying scotsman.

As I shall add DCC I intend to go the whole hog and sound chip it.

Branchie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well ,Windsor Lad arrived yesterday & I can report that it is well & truly up to expectations. A visit to the club layout proved that it's performance matches that of the A4,as you'd expect, same chassis and so on. Detail is excellent and Hornby have been kind enough to do all the work so you can just take it out of the box and play. Unlike the A4 it doesn't look miles better than the model it replaces, I guess that means the old A3's weren't that bad a model, the level of detail is far better but the shape is still basically the same (the new A4's have a noticable shape improvement, put old & new A3's & A4's together and you'll get the point) . The main points score for the new A3 are the Fixed Cartazzi truck, motor in the loco (yay), tender is far superior. As for the fantastic cab detail, well it's great if you take the time to look at it but I would be happy with a simplified cab if it meant the exta cost could be sunk into an even better motor or something like that,(only my opinion, quite happy to accept others will see differently).
I'll wind up by saying I think the A3 is a job well done, looking foreward to Great Northern now and I expect a few more to follow as other options become available.
Thanks to Hornby

·
Registered
521 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the comments about motor in loco and internal cab detail.

I loathe motors in tenders - I WANT to see some driving wheel slip from a big steam loco under load!

Inernal (unseen) detail is a complete waste in my view, though I accept that others may somehow value the intellectual appreciation of knowing it is there. To me, it is about as useful as having the boiler stuffed with dummy water tubes and the smokebox stuffed with scale crud! Though again, I imagine there are a few people who might even appreciate those!
Don't do it, Hornby!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts