Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Looks like a nice loco. The detail is visible in the cab here which makes it worthwhile. In the other recent releases with detailed cabs you can't actually see the detail so you wonder why they included it.

The decoder instalation looks like a b
r. I can't say I would relish doing that.

Hoepfully Hornby will take note of the feedback and sort this issue out next.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up until now, I haven't felt the need to stock up on micro sized DCC decoders. For one they're very expensive, and also they're rated at a lower amperage (fine for N-Scale motors, but on the limit for HO/OO scale locos).

It was mentioned that a Zimo or TCS would fit, but I want to keep all my decoders to roughly the same spec so that when something like Railcom shows it's head in a little while, I'll be ready for it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
In the case of a Lenz gold mini thats' a definite yes but the NCE Z14SR or SRP is rated at 1 amp continuous, 1.25A peak which is a fair way above the Lenz gold mini. I've now used quite a few of them in everything from a Hornby saddle tank to Bachmann standard 5 and at only $35 compared to $65 for a Lenz Gold mini it's quite a saving. They only drawback is that thay are not as silky smooth in operation as the Lenz gold but you get used to it.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Nov 2006, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Up until now, I haven't felt the need to stock up on micro sized DCC decoders. For one they're very expensive, and also they're rated at a lower amperage (fine for N-Scale motors, but on the limit for HO/OO scale locos).

It was mentioned that a Zimo or TCS would fit, but I want to keep all my decoders to roughly the same spec so that when something like Railcom shows it's head in a little while, I'll be ready for it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I nearly didn't read this review.
It's the wrong region for me.
It has inside valve gear.
It doesn't have 6 driving wheels.
It doesn't have a tender.
It's black.
It's boring and horrible
There was NOTHING attractive about it whatever.
But I read it anyway.

And I liked it!!!!

It's odd how one can have one's mind completely changed about something!
The biggest surprise for me was how well the weathering was done.
My first thought of the early pics was that it wasn't a model, but real.

Rarely have I done such a complete about face in an opinion.
It looks GREAT!

All down to the very effective weathering for me.
A bit more crap on the upper half and it would be close to perfection.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I agree with you there, Rail-Rider.....

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I will change prototype to a ficticious preserved line...then I can legitimately run all these goodies that keep popping out of the woodwork?

regardless of livery!

and having been to the South Devon Railway a few times.....even the car park can be a very mixed bag!

all ok...as long as its all weathered?

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Nov 2006, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It was mentioned that a Zimo or TCS would fit, but I want to keep all my decoders to roughly the same spec so that when something like Railcom shows it's head in a little while, I'll be ready for it.

This statement implies that Zimo do not supprt Railcom, which is a bit unfair on Zimo as they are part of the group of manufacturers that developed and support Railcom in the first place.

Here is a quote from a Zimo website "Under the slogan "It's time for the future" the well known DCC companies LENZ, KUHN, TAMS and ZIMO joined forces to market and further develop the "bidirectional communication" based o­n the NMRA draft-RP's 9.3.1, 9.3.2. "RailCom" (a trade mark of Lenz Elektronik) is an efficient method of data transfer from the decoder to the command station and is the suitable completion of the DCC standard."

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you're right John. I met the guys from Zimo at the Nürnberg toy fair and I must admit that my knowledge of Zimo was very limited prior to seeing them and their products. Perhaps due to language barriers, they are not well represented in England and France.

Zimo decoders are very much RailCom compatible. Actually, it is Zimo who seem to be at the forefront of RailCom development. Lenz seems to have taken a sabbatical for the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I received my new Hornby M7 loco R2625 ( Southern ) yesterday & while it is a sweet moving loco & looks very nice, couplings leave a lot to be desired.
The pony truck NEM socket takes Kadee #20 OK & height is spot on but the body mounted socket is rat.......
Fitting the Kadee in, it sags too much & even putting a styrene sliver in did not lift it up enough. The problem seems to be the mounting screw head is a bit proud & prevents the NEM socket from being level to start with.
Even using the tension lock coupler supplied with the loco still has it pointing downwards & does not couple up with correct height T/L's
Filing the head of the screw down maybe one way of overcoming this but I cheated & Supa-glued the shank of the Kadee #20 & finished it off with a small amount of PVA over it & onto the frame.
It works & having done this technique to other difficult situations & replaced faulty couplings ( takes a bit of cleaning up), I am happy with this.

Ron

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Now that I have finally got one I can safely comment on what a fine piece of RTR engineering this little beauty is. It is a shame that it they haven't left a lot of room for a decoder but I may try a Zimo or a TCS M-1 rather than an NCE N-14SR or Z-14-SR as I've found the control of the NCE decoders a little lacking in finesse or bemf. In Oz there's roughly a $20 difference in price between a Gold mini @$59 and and NCE at $36. I went for the NCE mini decoders because of their 1A rating and lack of extra frills functions ie lighting effects that aren't really required for a British loco. But I've had mixed results with these decoders, worked beautifully in a Hornby A3 but not so good in a Bachmann Ivatt class 4 but was great in all the Bachmann diesels except the Warships and my one and only Hornby class 31. So I'm ordering some TCS M-1's and couple of Zimo's to see how they perform.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice review! I think I'm going to buy this locomotive in the summer, in the Southern Region version.
It isn't a bargain compaired to the models of Bachmann, but the attention to detail is absolutely astonishing!

Sjoerd

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has a gutless non-serviceable motor too. They are fine until the brushes wear out, when that happens the motor will most likely be out of production and impossible to get like most older Hornby spares.

·
Registered
229 Posts
To be brutally honest, I expect that model railways will have succumbed to the computer age by the time such a scenario would arise!

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was suprised the motor is already proving hard to get hold of, just had to order one for a guy who had run his new M7 until the motor brushes had worn out. All my usual suppliers etc, have a waiting list for the motor. One is on order from Hornby but it could be a while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (Dan Hamblin @ 5 Jul 2007, 11:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be brutally honest, I expect that model railways will have succumbed to the computer age by the time such a scenario would arise!

Regards,

Dan

They already have, we have DCC. Hornby describes in their letter to me about DCC "as a series of computers running along a track by friction". I have just got a strange picture in my mind of a load of mainfames like the one you seen on the DVLA advert chasing the car tax dodger running along rails....lol Would that be a maintrain, or frametrain one wonders....lol

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Triangman i strongly suggest you stop this nonsence about the motors before someone gets sued.

There is simply nothing wrong with them. i think you have a prejudice against anything made in china and i dont think you will ever be satisfied by a modern model.

I feel i should remind you that this throw away rather than repair culture actually origianated in the UK.
At the Chubb factory it a worker dropped a lock then it was cheaper just to move onto the next one rather than pick it up. at the end of the shift the dropped ones were swept up and melted down rather than repaired.

Peter

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (thetriangman @ 6 Jul 2007, 05:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was suprised the motor is already proving hard to get hold of, just had to order one for a guy who had run his new M7 until the motor brushes had worn out. All my usual suppliers etc, have a waiting list for the motor. One is on order from Hornby but it could be a while.

I am very happy with myHornby M7 SR livery.Don't run it enough to have brush problems.

At least Hornby instals FIVE pole motors unlike Bachmann and their THREE pole motors.
Nobody will ever convince me that three poles are better than five.Although half a loaf is better than none.

Always have trouble starting my Bachmann Jinty from stop without a jerk as it takes a bit of power to overcome the inertia of three poles.Slow running is fine once it gets going.

Now as for the Hornby M7 it runs perfectly from stop and has great slow running.Absolutely no complaints.

I am hoping to get a Hornby M7 motor to retrofit the Bachmann Jinty [ MR maroon edition] and now by what people say I am going to have a problem finding a spare to do the job.

I live in hopes.Spare part aquisition in the Colonies always a problem.

Cheers,

Bryan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts