Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
In the case of a Lenz gold mini thats' a definite yes but the NCE Z14SR or SRP is rated at 1 amp continuous, 1.25A peak which is a fair way above the Lenz gold mini. I've now used quite a few of them in everything from a Hornby saddle tank to Bachmann standard 5 and at only $35 compared to $65 for a Lenz Gold mini it's quite a saving. They only drawback is that thay are not as silky smooth in operation as the Lenz gold but you get used to it.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Nov 2006, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Up until now, I haven't felt the need to stock up on micro sized DCC decoders. For one they're very expensive, and also they're rated at a lower amperage (fine for N-Scale motors, but on the limit for HO/OO scale locos).

It was mentioned that a Zimo or TCS would fit, but I want to keep all my decoders to roughly the same spec so that when something like Railcom shows it's head in a little while, I'll be ready for it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Now that I have finally got one I can safely comment on what a fine piece of RTR engineering this little beauty is. It is a shame that it they haven't left a lot of room for a decoder but I may try a Zimo or a TCS M-1 rather than an NCE N-14SR or Z-14-SR as I've found the control of the NCE decoders a little lacking in finesse or bemf. In Oz there's roughly a $20 difference in price between a Gold mini @$59 and and NCE at $36. I went for the NCE mini decoders because of their 1A rating and lack of extra frills functions ie lighting effects that aren't really required for a British loco. But I've had mixed results with these decoders, worked beautifully in a Hornby A3 but not so good in a Bachmann Ivatt class 4 but was great in all the Bachmann diesels except the Warships and my one and only Hornby class 31. So I'm ordering some TCS M-1's and couple of Zimo's to see how they perform.

Ozzie21

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.