Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recently watched someone install a decoder in one of these. The words he used were a revelation to me. I had no idea he was so well versed in colloquial Anglo Saxon. Seems it was a bit of a squeeze getting one to fit.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Keith.Wilkes @ 10 Dec 2007, 05:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I recently watched someone install a decoder in one of these. The words he used were a revelation to me. I had no idea he was so well versed in colloquial Anglo Saxon. Seems it was a bit of a squeeze getting one to fit.

***Then he should have chosen the right decoder - the TCS M-1 fits with the greatest of ease.

Richard

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 10 Dec 2007, 02:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Then he should have chosen the right decoder - the TCS M-1 fits with the greatest of ease.

Richard

Um.....It was a Hornby decoder he was asked to put in it. One would have hoped that their own decoder would fit surely?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Keith.Wilkes @ 12 Dec 2007, 08:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Um.....It was a Hornby decoder he was asked to put in it. One would have hoped that their own decoder would fit surely?

***Yes, you could expect that - however Hornbys decoders and the Select System have so many problems that its best to avoid them totally - and the performance and reliability of the M-1 is totally superb at a very reasonable cost, hence my recommendation.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
16 Posts
however Hornbys decoders and the Select System have so many problems that its best to avoid them totally

What problems? I use the Select and Hornby Decoders, and nothings gone wrong. I'm proud to be using them. Do you even own one? And to be honest, I only want my locos to go backwards and forwards when I want them to, not to put on a gymnastics show.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Camborner @ 29 Dec 2007, 22:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>however Hornbys decoders and the Select System have so many problems that its best to avoid them totally

What problems? I use the Select and Hornby Decoders, and nothings gone wrong. I'm proud to be using them. Do you even own one? And to be honest, I only want my locos to go backwards and forwards when I want them to, not to put on a gymnastics show.

***I'm pleased you are having success with them Cambourner, and I hope it continues for you, however most do not as they are not particularly reliable and not truly to the DCC standard.

In particular whereas any DCC brand is supposed to be able to interact with other DCC brands properly, as far as the hornby decoder and select unit are concerned, they can not and do not - they are really better termed "hornby digital" and not DCC at all.

As to whether I own one: I have more experience of them than most. My issue is not with Hornby which I generally respect, but these products do have problems!

When problems first emerged I reviewed the product in depth and have subsequently since their release done a significant amount of in-depth technical analysis of them both as have many highly qualified people, who all independently reach precisely the same conclusion. NONE of the analysis had anything to do with fancy features or "doing gymnastics" - all were just looking at how they worked and why they gave so much problem.

In addition, I frequently provide both direct and on-line help to those having problems with them, so see the issues that can arise all the time. I am also asked by magazines from UK and EU for comment or confirmation of their own findings which are inevitably the same.... negative.

You are one who has no trouble among hundreds that do, I'm afraid.

As to your final comment, simple reliability with the ability to be programmed to the DCC standard would be quite satisfatory but they do not meet the minimum DCC specification and fail to implement important CV's such as CV29 properly. Even that wouldn't be so bad but I'm afraid that for many users, often the decoders don't even do that, but simply give off smoke signals.

My recommendation therefore stands as quoted: To be avoided.

Kind regards

Richard Johnson
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Peoples issues with Hornby selec / decoders aside, how do you guys find the traction of the model?

I've recently bought one, it looks great and runs great but can't pull for toffee. It struggles with more than three coaches without spinning up the wheels. OK the coaches aren't the best (old lima), but none of my other locos struggle as much with less than six. Just down to only having 4 driving wheels I guess.

Matt.

·
Administrator
10,024 Posts
The pulling power of the M7 has been discussed several times usually because the traction isn't great. Here's one example with a resolution - link. There have been others. Try "M7 pulling traction" in the Google search option on the top right menu. It has to be the Google search since M7 is less than the four character minimum of the alternative Forum search.

David

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.