·
DT
4,794 Posts

Network SouthEast Co-Co Diesel Electric Class 50 'Lion'

Hornby Railways R2575

Review and DCC decoder installation by Doug Teggin

Click here for the review.

WIN THIS MODEL
How would you like to own this model? Model Rail Forum is giving this Hornby Network SouthEast Co-Co Diesel Electric Class 50 'Lion' away in a prize draw. Just answer a simple question:
By what nickname were the Class 50's known?
Competition is now over. See who won a few posts below.

I can leave in the Lenz DCC decoder that is installed in the loco if the winner wishes. I would charge a nominal fee of £18 for this brand new "Gold" 1.0/1.8A with cable and NEM 652 plug decoder (RRP £27.28). The decoder is programmed at the address #0027 for this loco. If you don't want the decoder, it will be removed.

Entries must be in by Friday 11th April at Midnight. The winner will be selected at random from the correct entries sent in. The winner will be announced here and also contacted by PM.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Another excellent review Doug and some very interesting observations about the body shell.

I have to admit that in my opinion this was the best livery variant ever applied to the 50's (oops - nearly gave the answer away then!) I well remember them on the Waterloo Exeter - services back in the late eighties.

I really rather like the idea of the shutters being poseable, and think that the difference is visible.

Regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Doug

The "access panel" in the roof is where there was recess on unrefurbished 50s. This was later plated over. This allows Hornby to model both variants.

Regards Eamon

G

·
Hi Doug

A few little points not picked up on in your review. the cab winscreens are the wrong shape and the loco runs on wheels that are far too small. To compensate for this the model sits too high on its bogies and it will benefit from changing the wheels and lowering it. As for will anyone notice the working louvres? Afraid so because the look nothing like the real thing and sit far too deep in the body.

Having said all that I still want to win one!

Attached a pic of one of mine with correct sized wheels and lowered. (the louvres have been replaced with those salvaged from an old Lima model.)

Cheers

Jim

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Nick Holliday asked about the buffers. They do drop-off up to 18° from the horizontal. You don't really notice it when the loco is on the track, but I suppose some of these close-up pictures highlight the problem.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE the buffers. They do drop-off up to 18° from the horizonta
So do the ones on the Deltic but I managed to spot the droopy ones before posting my photos

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello,
would just like to say thank you for the loco. Received today, a very smooth runner. Certinly feels like I has the capability to haul long loads though I have only tested it on a 3metre length of stright test track with 1 coach, it is impressive. With hornby select it works just fine. Many thanks again

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi
Just been looking at the class 50 from Hornby, and one thing i did notice is the lining on the body.
The one in the photo has the lining tuning up to the cab end, but on the hornby one it just runs in a strait ?
why is this?
Darren

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
There's a very simple answer to that one Darren, the Hornby model is in the revised NSE livery. Originally it was as you describe.

Regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts